Sand not getting out fine silt

Hi everyone. Thanks for reading my question. My pool is very sparkly except for at night when I turn on my pool lights I see silt in the water. In pool school it talks about adding DE to my sand filter to make it filter finer media. My Sand is going into its third season. Would it be wise to replace it or just clean it with a garden hose as in pool school or add DE or both? Or maybe even something else? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks again :)

I would deep clean the filter as described in pool school at least every other year. Adding DE wont hurt but even with DE sand filters just don't have the ability to filter the fine particles that will show at night with the pool light on.

If you use the pool at night allot and this bothers you a DE filter upgrade might be the answer. Personally I like to leave the shorts at the door when swimming at night so I prefer to not have a pool light on. I just need the stars and the moon if it's out. Occasionally there are two full moons.

No filter will get out all of the particles you can see in the light of an underwater light at night. A DE or cartridge filter will get more, but nothing gets all of them. Adding a little DE to your filter will help, but the effect is fairly subtile, as is the difference between the various kinds of filters. There is no point in changing the sand. Some people never change their sand and even the people who do change their sand only do so once every five to seven years. Rinsing out the inside of the filter every two or three years is a great idea, but will have no effect on the particles you are talking about.

BBBliever said:
I would deep clean the filter as described in pool school at least every other year. Adding DE wont hurt but even with DE sand filters just don't have the ability to filter the fine particles that will show at night with the pool light on.

If you use the pool at night allot and this bothers you a DE filter upgrade might be the answer. Personally I like to leave the shorts at the door when swimming at night so I prefer to not have a pool light on. I just need the stars and the moon if it's out. Occasionally there are two full moons.

Thanks Amigo. I like the two full moons or more. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.