Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New heat pump DIY advice?

1. Back To Top    #1

New heat pump DIY advice?

I am going to install my own heat pump (minus the electrical) any particular considerations?

thanks!
    32000 gallon, inground, fiberglass, Aqua-Rite SWG, Pentair 420 sqft cartridge filter (Installed-ya baby), Hayward Super II pump 1.5 hp, 144k BTU heat pump, Dolphin Dx5 Plus, and a good test kit from Duraleigh!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New heat pump DIY advice?

1) Don't plumb it backwards!
    2) Make sure you leave enough space around the evaporator to draw air. Most manufacturers recommend 2' of space.
    3) Leave at least 3' in front of the heater for servicing the unit.
    4) Make sure that if there are any overhangs or eaves overhead, you have at least 5' of clearance.
    5) Make sure there is a quick disconnect box close to the heat pump location.
    6) Make sure your electrician uses the correct amperage, breaker, and wire gauge.

Good luck with it.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

3. Back To Top    #3

My pool builder has told me we can't treat the heat pump like an a/c compressor and put it against a house wall -- pentair isn't kidding when they state a minimum of 2ft clearance on _all_ sides of the unit is required. This means we're treating it different than all our other pool equipment. That's been a major pain. Just something to keep in mind.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys!

I have a choice of a long electrical run to the pool equipment including the new heat pump (new 50 amp service) or I can put the new heat pump near the house with my other compressors which would make a short electrical run but a 30 foot plumbing run. I believe my curreent pump is more than adequate.

It would be a cheaper electrical job and an easier heat pump location if I do the long pipe run instead of putting the heat pump right by the filter and pool pump.

Thoughts?
    32000 gallon, inground, fiberglass, Aqua-Rite SWG, Pentair 420 sqft cartridge filter (Installed-ya baby), Hayward Super II pump 1.5 hp, 144k BTU heat pump, Dolphin Dx5 Plus, and a good test kit from Duraleigh!

5. Back To Top    #5

The longer the run of pipe, especially above ground, the more heat you will lose before it gets to the pool. If you bury the pipes at least 18" below grade, you should have enough insulation to prevent some heat loss.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6

The added pipe run will cause a small permanent loss of system efficiency. It will work that way, but keeping the heat pump closer to the pool will be more cost effective in the long run.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone.

Opted for the long electrical run and short plumbing.
    Waiting for my electrician.......