Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Advice on Filter..

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Advice on Filter..

I have a sand filter an am thinking over the winter of going to a DE an adding a salt system.. any advice on this would be great.. Want a clearner pool with less work... Budget is about 2 Grand tops..
    33x52 AGP 25600 Sand filter 1.5 HP Hayward

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Need Advice on Filter..

You probably won't be able to tell the difference in the water going to DE except at night with a light on. If you have debris/dirt on the bottom, it may be a circulation issue or an oversized pump rather than a filter issue.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Need Advice on Filter..

Adding a SWCG save you the hassle of lugging bleach every day or so, because it's generated when the pump is running. But.... You may occasionally have to add bleach to bring it up in a hurry such as after a heavy bather load (multiple dogs or large pool party).

No reason you can't add a SWCG with your sand filter and use DE with the sand.

Remember your doing two different things. Chlorine to kill nasties and the filter to collect the dead nasties. Doesn't matter how you add chlorine (bleach or SWCG) to kill the nasties. And the filter (sand, DE, or cartridge) captures the nasties and keeps them from reentering the pool.

Sorry. Got off topic. But for filter advice, I'd say stick with what you have and add DE. Unless it's undersized sand works well. I've got a cartridge and I'm happy with it but the prior owner purchased a sand filter (used) and never installed it so I haven't messed with it.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida