Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid chlorine

What is the best way / time to chlorinate a pool with liquid chlorine?* Night time? Daytime? Filter on? Filter off?
    Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

I can't say best way but I run my pump 24/7 and add chlorine with a Rolachem feeder. The pump must be running for the chlorine to get into the pool. I adjust the Rolachem to adjust the amount of chlorine.

This spring I will have to rethink the chlorine system when I change to a new pump and filter.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

3. Back To Top    #3

At night time with the pump/filter running. You ALWAYS want the pump running when adding anything to the pool. Sunlight breaks down chlorine naturally so it's best to chlorinate at night.

After chlorinating I let the filter run nonstop for about 2 days, then go back to a shift schedule.
    22,000 gal in-ground, 3-8ft
    Cartridge filter
    Pebble Tec resurfaced
    Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4

I use the Liquidator...when ever the pump runs. As long as there is no freeze, I run 1'st shift 6am-11am and 2'nd 4pm-9pm...
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

5. Back To Top    #5
    The best time to add chlorine, if you don't have a continuous feeder, is around sunset. That way you get the full effect of the chlorine all night before the sun starts burning it off.

You should run the pump for at least an hour after adding chlorine and a bit longer than that for some of the other chemicals.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    We do as Jason suggests because we also add bleach liquid chlorine manually. As soon as the sun is off the pool in the evenings, the bleach liquid chlorine is poured around.

If you use this method and find yourself without time/ability to let the filter run for at least an hour, you can cut the time by manually agitating the water with your pool brush or a water hose or anything that will help stir the mix. That is also when I take the opportunity to 'top off' the pool and help mix the chlorine at the same time.

Sorry about saying bleach, just habit. Also, I make sure I do not use that "B" word when I have to go to the pool store!

Joyce
    Attached Files Attached Files
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jjparrish

If you use this method and find yourself without time/ability to let the filter run for at least an hour, you can cut the time by manually agitating the water with your pool brush or a water hose or anything that will help stir the mix.
    Best way to do this is to brush down the sided of your pool all the way around. This will effectively 'stir' the water (and non of us really brush our pools enough...it's hard enough to brush our teeth enough! )