Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie From Toronto Canada

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie From Toronto Canada

Hi Everyone, first great site!!! We are looking to put in a inground pool the end of September/October, just a general question if you please what is better Fiberglass or Vinly??? I know there is a $$$ diff can any recommend any pool installers? We are looking at an 18 x 30. What should we budget? What some questions we should ask??

Thank you all in advance for all you help

2. Back To Top    #2

Northeast Ohio USA

Re: Newbie From Toronto Canada

There is a collection of articles under the "Pool school" (Construction...) link that you might helpful. As I have never had a pool built, I cannot offer any personal experience other than do your homework, which you seem to be working on now.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sault Ontario

I put an above ground in with a deck, I planned that for nearly one year.

If your planning to put in an inground pool in 4-6 weeks and you haven't even firmed up a budget, or picked a type of pool or gotten a short list of contractors by this time I think your rushing it. Your planning a major construction job and as such you should spend the proper time planning, just my 2 cents but I'd spend the winter planning it thoroughly so you can execute early next year, otherwise your putting all your faith in the contractor.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

We went with Gunite/Plaster, cost was about the same between liner and gunite. Cramar is right. We started the planning in Nov. of 2010 and started construction end of Feb 2011. It was a major up taking as it completely destroyed our back yard and route to the back yard. Winters come pretty quick here by the end of Oct. I think Toronto is about the same latitude as where I am. I wouldnt want to risk unfinished pipes freezing at the Gunite stage while you wait for plaster and water fill. Good luck to you!
    21,500 Gunite Free Form ~ 18'X40', Sun Deck w/ foam jets auto valve, 3-Laminar Deck Jets w/ auto Valve, 1-Swim out, 3' to 8' deep, NPT Raku Tile
    All Sched 80 Pipe, Pentair Easy Touch control, Pentair pump and Sand Filter, Raypack Heater, White Plaster, Saline Chlorine Generation, Letro Platinum cleaner w/ booster