Hard water questions

Aug 8, 2011
Hi newbie with a question here. Just bought a 12 foot vinyl pool from walmart. 2150 gallon 780 gallon per hour filter included. Filled with well water and was clear. The next morning it was brownish green. I added the mineral treatment chemical according to directions on the bottle. Its been two days and no noticeable difference. A friend told me to give it three days then add chlorine and wait at least a week before I shock it. Is this correct any tips would be greatly appreciated because the kids keep breathing down my neck asking when they can swim. Didn't test chlorine because I haven't added any and my test kit doesn't have calcium level on it.

Personally, I'd test the water and treat it right now.

Brownish green could be algae, or iron, or copper, or all of the above. Do you have rust stains where the faucets drip? That will give you a clue. Probably need to visit the dreaded Pool Store to have it tested for metals and to buy sequestrant. They'll also try to sell you something to adjust pH, and probably powdered shock and/or chlorine tablets. All of which you'll likely need, as a matter of fact. If not chlorine pucks, then CYA aka stabilizer separately. We do recommend liquid bleach over the powdered forms of chlorine, and you can learn about why in pool school. Do not buy Calcium Increaser - your vinyl pool doesn't care if it's too low, only if it's too high.

Head on over to pool school and do some reading on Pool Chemistry and startup of new pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.