36 x 18 Vinyl on Long Island - Help a New Member - Taylor K-2006C!

Snow Drift

Jun 18, 2022
Long Island
My name is Chris, and my wife and I live on Long Island, NY. I've spent the past two summers reading posts every now and then, but it is finally time to join.

We have a 36 x 18 vinyl in-ground pool w/ steps (~26k gallons based on a calculator) that was built in '85 and the Hayward DE filter, Hayward 1.5 HP pump , SaniKing Perform-Max (3" slow tab TriChlor) dispenser, are probably from 2005+. We use a Dolphin Premiere robot to clean once or twice a week. We technically have a second pump for a basic leaf cleaner, but I do not use it after recommendations to use an electric bot instead.

We bought the house at the end of 2019, but since it was a foreclosure the pool was unused for many years. After having the pool inspected in November 2019, my wife and I spent a good two months in the spring of 2020 cleaning it out. It was dark and full of debris. We removed 11 landscaping bags worth of leaves. Plus, backwashing multiple times a day for well over a week. If there had been a body, I would not have been surprised.

My wife said let's just drain it, I said no, we are going to clean it out and "earn it." My avatar shows the before/after in 2020. In the end, I am glad we did so much work, I learned a lot about the system. Cleaning the DE filter myself was a feat in itself.

The past two summers have been great overall and our extended family and friends love it. Eventually we will get a heater and switch to salt water.

I recently put in a WaterGuru Sense to send daily reports on FC, pH and temperature, however, it seemed lower than what I was getting with a basic test kit, or what Leslie's AccuBlue report was saying. So, after reading the forums I decided to get a Taylor K-2006C. I have done a test today, all results within the same hour and area of the pool (well, WG is from the skimmer), but I tested the water at the same end/side of the pool. Below the pics below are the test results. I'd love some advice as I think the FC from the Taylor kit is way off.

Spring 2020 - Earning it
IMG_3870.jpeg

Summer 2021 - (Tree on the right is no longer there and the grass is a lot greener now)
B3B6153A-8039-42D1-8D55-334047579171.jpg

Spring 2022 - LED light w/ new wiring
IMG_2516.jpeg

I'd love any suggestions as the results do not completely match:

WG
FC = 3.5
pH = 7.0
Flow = Normal (although often it says low. I've been trying to change how the cassette is positioned, which helps)

Leslie's AccuBlue
FC = 3.87
TC = 3.87
pH = 7.4
TA = 86
CH = 85 (They say I need 55 lbs 2 oz of their Hardness Plus, but they are out in store)
CYA = 46
Iron = 0
Copper = 0
Phosphates = 7 (It was 139 a few days ago, but I treated it with Leslie's No Phos)
TDS = 600

Taylor K-2006C -> First time used, brand new
FC = 5 (Took about 25 drops of r-0871 to be completely clear...did I do it wrong?)
CC = 0.04
pH = 7.3
TA = 80
CH = 80
CYA = 33

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
My WaterGuru tends to report FC on the low side as well. I'm fine with that because I'd rather FC run a little high than ever get too low. I still test with the Taylor kit every week or so to ensure the WG isn't totally off.

For your Taylor FC test, use a 10ml sample and each drop will be 0.5ppm. Save on reagent that way and precise enough for what you need.

You can't read the Taylor CYA test between the lines. If the dot disappears between 30 and 40, I'd call it 40 and call it a day.

Numbers look good :)

Reactions: Snow Drift
My WaterGuru tends to report FC on the low side as well. I'm fine with that because I'd rather FC run a little high than ever get too low. I still test with the Taylor kit every week or so to ensure the WG isn't totally off.

For your Taylor FC test, use a 10ml sample and each drop will be 0.5ppm. Save on reagent that way and precise enough for what you need.

You can't read the Taylor CYA test between the lines. If the dot disappears between 30 and 40, I'd call it 40 and call it a day.

Numbers look good :)
Thanks. I think some of your posts helped me to better position the Cassette in the skimmer (facing out and away from the wall).

Reactions: IceShadow
So, today I got FC 5.5 and pH is 7.0 with the K-2006C.

pH has been decreasing all week yet FC is steady. I have used the solar cover during the week, but I’m not sure why the pH has been decreasing.

I guess I’ll add soda ash tonight. Seems to be a revolving issue lately.

CH = 85 (They say I need 55 lbs 2 oz of their Hardness Plus, but they are out in store)
First of all, welcome and nice job.

Second, thank goodness they were out of Hardness Plus. With a vinyl pool and no heater, you don't need to worry about low CH.

So, today I got FC 5.5 and pH is 7.0 with the K-2006C.

pH has been decreasing all week yet FC is steady. I have used the solar cover during the week, but I’m not sure why the pH has been decreasing.

I guess I’ll add soda ash tonight. Seems to be a revolving issue lately.
pH of 7 is fine. What’s your TA?

Then you’re good. It will only go down more if you add acid or acidic products like dichlor / trichlor. You can leave it be. If you really want it a little higher, aerate it by pointing your return jets high. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep an eye on the chlorine and CYA levels. I don't know if tabs are going to allow you to chlorinate and keep FC up without your CYA going crazy. That's why most here chlorinate with liquid chlorine, or a SWG.

Reactions: Snow Drift
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.