36 hours no power and single digits = lost everything above ground (at least)

FirstPoolLastPool

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Mar 19, 2013
Southlake, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Not even sure what I am looking for in response to this post perhaps I just needed to get this conversation started. I did put a few questions in italics down below.

TFP was an awesome resource during construction 7 years ago...now we are looking at a complete replacement of above ground equipment and piping. We may discover more damage that is currently hidden from view.

What happened: long story short I'm in North Texas and at out house we lost power at 2:30 AM during a snowstorm while pump was running and when it was 10° and dropping and the power stayed off continuously for 36 hours. During that time it got down to -2° at one point and never went above 18° so hard freeze was inevitable. Pool surface froze solid and didn't thaw for several days.

Just to make it more interesting inside the house we lost all water supply from our city about 30 minutes after the power was restored and it was still below freezing. Water was out 26 hours and when it came back on
we had other issues with broken pipes in the house to deal with and are still without hot water. But I got a look at the pool gear for the first time today and it's an awful sight. Quick look revealed pipes burst in at least 6 places and a few elbows are cracked. Do you all agree that the pump and cartridge filter are also likely cracked and will need replacing?

I am pretty sure the heat pump is also toast or at least the heat exchanger and piping will need replacing. Anybody here ever done that and kept the compressor and electrical controls and fan motor after a bad freeze?

I'm thinking of just not worrying about the heater at first and just focus on trying to rebuild the piping and installing a new pump and filter. I can add on or cut in the other options later. It's hard to get any contract labor to help me since damage is so widespread in Texas. Anybody ever do this partial rebuild and addition later?

Thanks for reading this. All comments and suggestions welcome.

Fplp,

Other than connecting the heater later, I can't see much of advantage to doing anything else a little at a time.

As a minimum you need a pump and a filter and a way to get the water from the pool and back to the pool.

I'd want to open the filter and look for any obvious damage like broken pipes or crushed cartridges etc.. before I hooked everything up.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: FirstPoolLastPool
I'm still scared to look at mine.

Just a reminder that while it is awesome outside and almost 70 degrees right now, it is supposed to dip into the 20's tonight and be below freezing for a few hours again. If you have any equipment that looked like it survived or you dont want further damage, pull the drain plugs on those to keep the water in them from refreezing tonight.

Reactions: FirstPoolLastPool
fplp
Here in Austin. My issues aren't as bad as far as I can tell but similar. In case others suggest something in my thread that might be helpful, it's '7" over 36-hrs.' I'm checking for ideas from all posts that seem to relate. I'll post occasional updates at major milestones and would love to see yours if you have time.
Best of luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.