35k+ gallon new build. De, sand or cartridge. Trees and manganese

ahreno

Apr 11, 2024
ukiah, ca
So I'm on a well in northern California. We aren't currently in a drought but I doubt it's far away. Trying to decide between filters for a new salt water in ground.

1st concern. I have manganese in my water so as soon as I add new water the chlorine will turn it brown. The pool supplier says use metal out and it'll be fine.

2nd concern ... I don't mind maintainence but I also don't love it. A clear pool would be awesome though.

3rd. Leaves will be an issue. I scored a half price betta surface robot, hoping that helps

With my manganese issue, should I just go cartridge? Reddit is really anti carts, this boards seems more pro.

Does back flushing use a ton of water or just a few gallons? In a 35k gallon pool will it be noticeable? I can get city water from a Neighbor a few hundred feet away but it's an inconvenience for everyone. Once or twice a year is one thing, every two weeks... Nah.

I'm sure that either rod the three would be "ok" or they wouldn't be sold yet.

Help?!?

Get a large 520 sq ft cartridge filter and you will not need to clean it often. Maybe once a year.

Backwashing sand or DE filters can dump 150-300 gallons of water during the backwash.

Reactions: proavia
its crazy how all three of the filter types all have die hard fans.
Each filter type has its pros and cons.

It partly depends on the environment the pool is in and local regulations as well as personal preferences.

Many people, especially on the internet, strongly advocate for what they have and don’t look objectively at what is best for others.

Will you clean the filter yourself or pay someone to do it?

Do you have the physical strength and mechanical ability to breakdown and reassemble a cartridge filter to clean it?

Do you want the convenience of cleaning the filter with turning a knob and pushing a button at the cost of water usage?

Which filter will be the least hassle to deal with when you have an algae outbreak?