tftestkit chemical life?

May 17, 2009
NC
I bought a tftestkit in 09, this is the third season I have had it. I was testing my water today and it seems like the chemicals are not reacting they way I remember they did last year. Do any of the chemicals in this kit go stale after a couple years?

R-870, R-871 and R-013 are the one I'm questioning... :?:

Thanks!

Shelf life depends quite a bit on storage conditions. I have had R-870 and R-003 go bad. I wouldn't think the R-013 would be very quick to age though.

You can always cross check your FC roughly with the OTO test or get a pool store test as a POSSIBLE comparison. Taylor suggests that all chemistry be replaced yearly. Practical experience and reports from other pool owners here on the forum indicate you can certainly go much longer IF you take care of your kit.

Three years (for me personally) starts to get borderline so it may not be a bad idea to get another test somewhere.

That said, I have used some of the DPD powder that was four years old and got identical results compared to using new.

As John says, proper care probably adds the most life to the reagents. At some point, however, you want to be sure you aren't being penny wise and pound foolish.

Correction, the R-013 has been used-up and replaced at least once, so I should not have listed it as suspect I guess.

The R-870 does not seem to disseminate or disperse evenly, clinging to itself in a ribbon appearance, I think I'll replace it...

Does anyone have phone number or contact info for the tftestkit? is [email protected] still a good email?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.