Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Controlling a 2 speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Controlling a 2 speed pump

How are others controlling their 2 speed pumps if you want to split the time between low and high speed?
    The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

24' x 52" Intex ultra frame pool (12,400 gallons) with seperate Intex 2500gph pump and SWG and 2 Intex magnetic pool lights.
    Looking to upgrade to 27-30' semi inground install

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Controlling a 2 speed pump

There are three ways to control a 2 speed pump:

Manual switch
    Two speed timer
    Controller

I use a controller which has separate timer functions for high and low speed. The next best thing would be a two speed timer.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

For simple setups a manual switch works just fine. You normally leave it on low all the time unless you are backwashing, vacuuming, or coating the grids of a DE filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm guessing the switch would be on the back of the motor? What would be good reasonable priced 2 speed timer? If I don't need one that would be great, but I thought in the 100s of posts I've read here that you needed to run hi speed a little a day for a skimmer to work properly.
    The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

24' x 52" Intex ultra frame pool (12,400 gallons) with seperate Intex 2500gph pump and SWG and 2 Intex magnetic pool lights.
    Looking to upgrade to 27-30' semi inground install

5. Back To Top    #5

As long as you can get enough flow through the skimmer on low speed, you shouldn't need to run on high speed. I only have a manual switch, and I get good flow through both skimmers with the pump on low speed and the main drain valve 1/4 of the way open.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by guamguy
    As long as you can get enough flow through the skimmer on low speed, you shouldn't need to run on high speed.
    That is pretty key but it also depends on if you have an automatic cleaner and the size of 2 speed pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater