Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can someone look at my numbers and tell me what I'm doing w

1. Back To Top    #1

Can someone look at my numbers and tell me what I'm doing w

I can't figure this out. I've been shocking and shocking for a week now and things seem to be getting worse NOT better.

PH 7.4
    TA 120
    CYA 30
    FC 14
    CC 1
    CH 0

Any suggestions?
    Carrie
    16 x 32 AG
    Hayward 50# Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can someone look at my numbers and tell me what I'm doin

By getting worse, do you mean pool is looking worse? Have you done a OCLT? See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...rnight_fc_test

Is the pool always above minimum shock level (poolcalculator gave me 13 ppm for your CYA level of 30)?

How are you getting your test results?

Your CH is extremely low...I am not an expert on CH...but I have read that 50 ppm minimum is recommended for vinyl. I doubt this is your problem though.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, the pool is actually looking worse. It's turning a darker green. My OCLT will drop from 15 to 9 or 10. It DOES NOT want to hold?
    Carrie
    16 x 32 AG
    Hayward 50# Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Dark green, murky or clear green? What test kit are you using to confirm the CYA of 30ppm? CC of 1ppm confirms you are not done shocking yet.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Assuming you are using 15 as a shock level, how much more chlorine are you adding after your last at/right after dark addition?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

It's dark green. I'm using Taylor K-2006 test kit. I added one full gallon at dark.
    Carrie
    16 x 32 AG
    Hayward 50# Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Did you measure FC after adding the gallon?

I understand dark green, but clear or murky and are you running the filter 24x7?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

8. Back To Top    #8

FC was measured about 10 hours after adding the gallon. I would call it murky. Yes, filter is running 24/7 has been for over a week. It's a Hayward 3/4 hp (I think) with a 100# sand filter. I've been backwashing daily and brushing once a day.
    Carrie
    16 x 32 AG
    Hayward 50# Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds like you are still fighting something. Make sure to not let your FC level drop below 14 ever. I would continue to do the OCLT to track your progress (or lack of) and let us know what you are getting.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by wcrasmus
    FC was measured about 10 hours after adding the gallon. I would call it murky. Yes, filter is running 24/7 has been for over a week. It's a Hayward 3/4 hp (I think) with a 100# sand filter. I've been backwashing daily and brushing once a day.
    You'll want to measure FC about 30 mins after adding chlorine to confirm you are hitting shock level. Unless you are actually confirming FC is at shock level, you can not be sure you are shocking. As linen stated, continue shocking.

What brand of bleach are you using?

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi wcrasmus,
    I would make sure you confirm your CYA, then look at chart for shock value #, and I would add until I got at least 3ppm higher than the chart #, this will hopefully let your FC # NEVER fall below your FC shock #.
    My shock # was 16, so I always added to get to 19-20 as here in Florida it's very hot now and with 8-9 hour work days I wanted to never be under 16, This was a big help to get my pool to clear up, in the beginning I was falling behind sometimes and was taking forever.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.