Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone use CYA from Walmart?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone use CYA from Walmart?

I looked at the label and it states 100% cyanuric acid.
    The price was $11.99 for 3 lbs.

My pool stores sell 99% for $17 to $20 for 4 lbs.

Anyone use the walmart brand?
    16x32 Grecian, vinyl liner, IG, 19000 gal.
    1.5 h.p. Hayward Super Pump 2 speed. Hayward S244T sand filter
    Circupool RJ45 SWG, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone use CYA from Walmart?

I haven't, but plenty of other posters have, and swear by it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

It has worked fine for me so far.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

4. Back To Top    #4

I have used it for two years with no issues.
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

5. Back To Top    #5

As they said, we have had lots of good reports about it. Good price and more powdery which allows it to dissolve faster.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I use it every year. Seems to work fine. And if you put it in a sock in front of your skimmer and squish it, it seems to disolve pretty fast.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

7. Back To Top    #7

Have been with no problem's but it was impossible to find this year . Four walmart's within 10 miles, nothing. Ended up at pool store(argh) $25 for 3.5lbs!! Went early in season and was told all chem orders were finished ? Ya think the pool store could have at least bought me diner first before they screwed me. Next year i'm buying online, between the gas and final cost , live and learn.
    12X24 Oval AGP +/- 7100 gal
    Clearwater 100 cartridge filter
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Same here with the walmarts out of stock. I bought some at ace hardware.
    DIY 18x36 Vinyl Liner 1Hp 2 speed super pump, Hayward Swim Clear cartridge filter, Pentair 12v Intellibrite 5G, MX8 suction pool cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

I used HTH stabilizer at a friends pool, then had to get more and got that from the pool store, not sure of the brand but directions said to lower pH to something like 7.2, then add to the skimmer. The HTH dissolved easily in a stocking on the pool. The other did not. It seemed harder baked and bigger chunks. Couldn't dump in the skimmer since the filter was due to be cleaned, so we used the stocking again. Took quite awhile. Anyhow, that its my report on the comparison.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

10. Back To Top    #10

no problem..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I get mine from Lowe's, no problems! Sure beats being pool stored!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

Couple of notes....it only says to lower the PH to 7.2 just to make sure you get the PH in line (whatever your target) before moving on the CYA.

Also--regardless of skimmer vs sock method, you shouldn't clean or backwash for a week.
    24' AG Doughboy w/ 5'8 dish bottom, CWII DE Filter, 1.5 hayward 2 speed pump, Aquatrol SWG.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the replies.
    I'm going to give it a try.

It's too bad they do not sell it in larger containers though.
    I'm constantly having to add it because of all the rain we get.

Good thing is.... it's cheap.
    16x32 Grecian, vinyl liner, IG, 19000 gal.
    1.5 h.p. Hayward Super Pump 2 speed. Hayward S244T sand filter
    Circupool RJ45 SWG, TF100

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by chriscard25
    Couple of notes....it only says to lower the PH to 7.2 just to make sure you get the PH in line (whatever your target) before moving on the CYA.

Also--regardless of skimmer vs sock method, you shouldn't clean or backwash for a week.

The "no cleaning or backwashing" is for when you add it to the skimmer because it takes so long to dissolve and the granules will fall out of the filter undissolved. There's no reason not to clean the filter if it's added via sock. No different than cleaning the filter any other day.

I think it's important to clarify this because those who are shocking will NEED to clean their filters regularly during the process. A very good reason not to use the skimmer method to add CYA if you think you'll need to shock within a week or are already doing so.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

15. Back To Top    #15

Meijers Sells the HTH Stabilizer in 4lbs for $14.99 I believe.
    I've been using it for the past 2 years w/ no issues.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit