Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you test for chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you test for chlorine

I'm wondering how you all do your routine chlorine testing. Does anyone use the fas-dpd almost exclusively?
    . . .OR
    Which method do you use for routine checks, DPD?
    . . . OR
    OTO?

I really enjoy testing with my TF-50's fas-dpd test. I'm wondering in the long run if that will be wise economically.
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you test for chlorine

I have a hard time telling the shades of yellow apart so like you, I almost exclusively use the fas-dpd test. More expensive I'm sure, but I'd rather know for sure where I'm at. Interestingly, I have no such problem with the ph test.
    28K, 20' x 40' IG - Vinyl Liner, Hayward DE Filter, 1.5HP Pump, 250K Hayward BTU Heater, Aquabot Breeze 4WD robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

I always use the dpd
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

FAS-DPD 2 or 3 times a week. I have to stare at the OTO test for quite a while to detect the shade, but I always do it first then run FAS-DPD to see how close I am. I'm getting better. I also tried with the DPD tester from an old Leslies kit, and I am much more accurate with that. I must be able to discern shades of pink better than shades of yellow.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

one drop of OTO into the pool.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    Since you're a pro, I figured you'd just scoop up a mouthful and swish it around.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

That shade of yellow is difficult for me.
    I use the 2 part red shade daily, once a week or 10days I confirm w the FAS DPD
    The red is just so much more accurate for my eyes
    I get it at Leslies (unless I'm placing an order w our magnificent Duraleigh), Taylor R 0001 + R0002; it tests FC not TC, & you need that cell w the red on itnot the yellow OTO.

I determined beyond a doubt that the chlorine savings FAR outweighed the 1part yellow OTO vs the 2 part red price difference.
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

I exclusively use the fas-dpd test everyday .
    Steve Frakes
    15' X 48'' Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter 16'' 2650 GPH
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

OTO = daily test.
    FAS-DPD = weekly test.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

FAS DPD every other day
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    Since you're a pro, I figured you'd just scoop up a mouthful and swish it around.

Ok, that made me spit my coffee onto my laptop.

I do both daily, I have a cya of 70 so I keep FC over 5 (usually 6-8 range) so I like that the DPD test is more accurate with higher levels of FC.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Ok, that made me spit my coffee onto my laptop.
    Ditto!

I do OTO daily and FAS/DPD once weekly or so. Over the years, I have about learned just how much FC my pool uses so I find myself skipping the FAS/DPD test every now and then.

(Refill customers...PLEASE pay no attention to the above statement...I was temporarily deranged)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

fas dpd every other day, my pool numbers are pretty consistent so I add a certain volume of bleach on the "off" days and then test every second day, I find this reduces major drops in chlorine levels between tests. The tests usually come in at expected/consistent levels.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej
    OTO = daily test.
    FAS-DPD = weekly test.
    x2

OTO to make certain pool is chlorinated and hasn't dropped drastically for some unexpected reason; FAS-DPD "roughly" every week or so when I want to know exactly how much chlorine I have, or in case of a pool party or if I changed pump run-times/swg percentage, etc.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

15. Back To Top    #15

I've been keeping a log of my tests, for the most part I test 2-3 times weekly with DPD. If the weather changes then I will make sure to test.

I'm sure both temperature and sunlight have an effect, does temp effect chlorine usage more than sunlight?
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]