My DIY Pool

It is looking great! We are in the process of an install as well- although we didn't do a DIY as we are both busy and very impatient lol! What is your liner choice? and what are you using for the bottom of the pool? :) your decking around it?

Thanks, I am using 30 mil liner from royalswimmingpools it's called tidewater. I will be using portland and sand maybe some vermiculite for the bottom. I have 2" white bullnose coping with 3' to 4' concrete deck around the entire pool. Anything beyond the pool deck will be 6X6 decorative pavers. Do you have any pics of your pool?

Tom

Sounds like your going the same route as we did!! I would suggest a minimum of the 3 ft of concrete if you are doing a safety cover we have the vermiculite bottom and love it!! we also did the 2 inch bull nose coming and we are doing a 33 inch paver apron to match the current paver patio! yeah a link to my build thread is here - 16-x-32-inground-vinyl-dig-pics-new-liner-dropped-t31990.html

Hello folks, I'm at month 3 with my build. Yesterday, we had 8.5yrds of concrete and two people with about 90 degree temps. Disaster! called in 3 guys for 300 bucks to help. The concrete company charged me $1.50 a min over for anything over 70min. 5hrs later I have concrete with rough spots and concrete over my coping. We didn't get the control joints in. We were able to clean most of it up. But I'm not sure how I'm going get the joints in and get some of the rough spots out.

Any suggestions would be great!

Here are some pics. Overall it looks decent and the shape looks good.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i38 ... AG0531.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i38 ... AG0530.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tmill002 said:
Hello folks, I'm at month 3 with my build. Yesterday, we had 8.5yrds of concrete and two people with about 90 degree temps. Disaster! called in 3 guys for 300 bucks to help. The concrete company charged me $1.50 a min over for anything over 70min. 5hrs later I have concrete with rough spots and concrete over my coping. We didn't get the control joints in. We were able to clean most of it up. But I'm not sure how I'm going get the joints in and get some of the rough spots out.

Any suggestions would be great!

Hi tmill002, comgratulations on that big hurdle. :goodjob: That is a huge job and it looks like you did good work.
We hired a professional crew to pour ours and midway through it started raining. Luckily it was not a thunderstorm, and they were able to fix the problems. btw our crew charged us $2000, (1.65/ sq ft.), so you saved a bundle. :cheers:

For your control joints, if I were you I would rent a concrete saw. The big type on wheels, so you can make straight lines. Drop some chalk lines and cut down 1/4 - 1/2 inch deep. While you are at it you may even want to do some sort of pattern?... (My wife and I were considering a large diamond pattern in ours, but did freeform control joints instead).
Whatever you do, you need to do it soon before it cracks on it's own.

The concrete splash on the coping should clean up, the sooner the easier.

Best of luck,
John.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.