Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre Pool Edge - Breaks Leg

1. Back To Top    #1

Bizarre Pool Edge - Breaks Leg

We bought a foreclosure last year with a pool that was built in 1981 and is quickly becoming a Money Pit. Resurvace, patch, re-tile, New equipment room - Heater, filtration, rebuild of the cover box, new cover motor, cover, gliders, rails...

The money pit went to a whole new level over the 4th of July weekend...

The bullnose brick coping around the pool extends above the concrete pool deck from 3/4" to 1 3/4" and the outer edge of the bullnose brick is a sharp 90 degree edge straight down to the deck. We've recognized it as being both unatrractive and dangerous but it had been a lower priority than the functional issues. Over the 4th an ankle got broken on the coping resulting in an ER trip. Fixing this edge issue has instanlty become the priority but we can't find anyone who has a solution that isn't tearing out 2,500 sf of concrete deck and re-pouring a deck at $20k, which simply isn't doable. we wanted to put a stamped concrete overlay on top of the existing concrete deck to fill in the gap and upgrade the overall look of the pool, but contractors are saying it is too high to pour slab over the exisiting deck. Any help or ideas would be very appreciated.
    16x32 vinyl IGP, approx. 20,000 gallons. Sand filter. Pump. Water. TF-100.
    First time pool owner, this is my first full season.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bizarre Pool Edge - Breaks Leg

So the outter edge height varies around the pool? Its not consistent?

Dang, sorry to hear about the injury! I do feel your pain. I bought a foreclosed house with a pool that needed a lot of work. In May, I was pressure washing the house, getting ready to paint it, and I fell backwards into my empty pool, into the deep end. That was a 9' fall onto my back. Thankfully no serious injury, other than a really sore back, scraped up, and a bump on the head. Since then we remodeled the pool and its now full of water.

Anyways, my first thought is if you can put some other kind of stone around the outside of the coping to not make such a abrupt step.
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

3. Back To Top    #3

Picture would say alot...
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies - I'll get pictures posted today.

5. Back To Top    #5

It is difficult to picture exactly what is going on, but it sounds like it might be possible to grind down the edge of the coping so there is a bit of a slope, instead of a vertical trip edge.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Picture attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

coping corner
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

how about just repouring right over the top?
    thanks
    gary

24ft x 54" aquasphere mission agp, cartridge filter, 1.5 hp hayward, TF-100, BBB method, pool install July 2010

9. Back To Top    #9

We have the same situation, but with vinyl-covered wood, and are facing the same dilemma. In our case, our concrete deck needs attention, too, so we've got that added complication. (And, BTW, our pool and house have the same name!!!! And other not so nice names, too!)

I wonder if replacing your existing thick brick coping with some of that thin-paver coping would work. That would be way cheaper than replacing the whole deck, or even covering the whole deck with thin pavers to meet the thick brick coping. I know there's a long thread somewhere about a gentleman who used that to re-cope and lay a whole new paver deck...in the heat of July! It may require a foundation, though, or an exisiting coping to be set upon.

There is a new technology that we've used at the university where I work that grinds down trip hazards in sidewalks. I've seen it used at a local hospital, too. I'm not sure that would work on your brick, though, especially since it's up to almost 2" deep.

I've looked at the following company, since we need to replace our deck, but I don't think it wouldn't help you since the back edge is the same depth as your problem now: http://www.creaconco.com/index_002.htm

Maybe you could have a cantilevered coping poured just where the brick coping was, up to the existing deck. I don't know if that's too narrow an area to do that. Maybe ConcreteJack would know.

Amy
    18x36 26.6k IG vinyl liner over concrete or concrete blocks - liner is slipped-out in spots, but not moving; constant slope from 3.5' to 8'; 1 shallow skimmer/2 deep-end eyeball returns; Pentair multi-port valve; 2010 Triton Sand filter TR60 (replaced identical 1994 model); Sta-Rite Dura-Glas Up-rated P2RA5E-124L 5" pump w/ AO Smith Centurian B848 switchless motor 1hp; (removed-TeledyneLaars LaarsLite heater); (removed-Sun Auto. Pool Chlorinator); (replaced-Hayward Vari-flo valve SP0710x-40)

10. Back To Top    #10

That is a bigger height difference that I was expecting.

It would look strange, but one thing you could do is to make a small wedge/ramp out of PVC trim, which works like wood but lasts forever like PVC, and then glue them in place with construction adhesive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

I kind of like greif's idea...any reason you couldn't pour over the top of the existing deck to make it level with the brick?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

what about that naturestone stuff? You may be able to slope away from the brick coping.

13. Back To Top    #13

You could look for some plastic fencing panels and some spacers and build duckboards up to the right level.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

you could lay unfinished spanish tiles or some thing similar, although that would likely be a costly option as well, but perhaps affordable as a DIY?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by greif
    how about just repouring right over the top?
    That was our original desire and stamp the concrete for an enhance look - So far contractors have suggested that a 2" pour overtop of an exisiting slab would crack quickly and have refused that as an option that they would guarantee. They would pout upto 3/4" over slab with a guarantee but not uup to 2".

Natural stone is an option with 2,500 SF its an expensive option.

16. Back To Top    #16

Would they do a series of 3/4" pours with it fully curing in between each thin layer?
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

17. Back To Top    #17

pavers over the slab?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

18. Back To Top    #18

How about just putting the right size coping on?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

19. Back To Top    #19

There are special companies that jack the existing concrete, but I think in your case, the discrepancy is too extreme. I also think replacing the coping should certainly make a huge difference.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

20. Back To Top    #20

No easy option for a proper fix here. Should have seen that one coming even before buying the house, since the step is pretty obvious. The right thing would be to either redo the concrete or the coping.

A cheaper temp fix, IMO, would be to find some angle wood and screw it into the concrete for a gradual transition. Just make sure to properly water treat the wood before hand to reduce rot.
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast