Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Fence Idea

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Fence Idea

In enclosing our in ground pool we needed to balance security with ease of monitoring. We wanted to be able to see the pool from inside our house and yet have it secured when we were not directly monitoring its use. We needed a "see through" fence. All of the more traditional methods like wrought iron and its variants or solid glass were too expensive for us. So we built a fence using four foot tall sheep/goat feedlot panels on the top combined with very short (only one foot) treated fence pickets. I won't go into construction details but will include a few pictures instead. I have a few finishing touches to complete such as trimming the top of the posts and facing the post with pickets, but I am quite happy with the way this turned out. More pics in next post.

COST BREAKDOWN (per 8 foot section)
    3 - 6 foot pressure treated fence pickets @ $1.37 ea. = $4.11 (cut to desired height - I chose 11-3/4" for a finished panel height of 1')
    6 - pressure treated 2 X 4 X 8 @ $2.97 ea. = $17.82 (5 of the 6 are ripped into 2 X 2's)
    1/2 - Section of sheep/goat feedlot panel @ $28.00 * (approx.)
    Screws, glue, misc. hardware $8.00 (estimated)

TOTAL excluding sales tax - $57.93
    * Must be bought in full panels ($56.00)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16 X 40 in-ground, vinyl liner over concrete.
    Salt water system.

My builder: http://www.tropicpoolsinc.com/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Fence Idea

More pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Salt water system.

3. Back To Top    #3

That looks awesome!

Maybe you could use some u shaped staples to hold the panels in at the top?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Incredibly well built and very, very attactive! That is really one of the best pool fences I have seen.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Very nice cottage/farmhouse feel. A rustic pool house would go awesome with that fence. We went with DIY ornamental iron route and used OzPost fence post spikes - total for me in material came to $15 pet linear foot at 5ft high.
    OB Pool - 45K Gal. 64'x25' free-form IG - 35'x18" raised bond beam - Swim up bar w/ 5 stools - 14'x8 ' sunken patio/grill area w/ icemaker, fridge, SS cabinets, sink, granite counters, dual head grill - 14' spa w/12 venturi jets - 2 fire bowls - 1 firepit - Indeck drink cooler - 3 fiberlit waterfalls - 14' sun shelf with 2 fiberlit bubblers - 25 x fiberlit star floor fixtures - 5 Pentair Intelliflow 3HP pumps - Tiger Shark QC Cleaner - 4 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Intellichlor IC40 alt cells - Intellitouch i9 w/ i10x expansion - Pentair IS10 spa side remote - MobileTouch2 - 4 Valve Actuators - Silencer Blower - Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter - 2 fiberlit laminars - 4 Fiberstar Illuminators - Perimeter fiberlit bar counter and spa - 2 Bermuda Skimmers - 8 Returns - Hydrazzo custom color plaster - Natural quartz ledging - Glass Mosaic Tile - 2000 sq ft paver deck w/ double banded poured coping - Interfab G-Force Pool slide.

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you check local code requirements for a pool fence? You may have another one around the yard so this may not matter. The spacing on that wire is too big for the regs in my area. Regardless, those look good and you get the pride of the DIY part too!
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Since I have a safety cover in my area I am not required to have a fence at all. I can lower my insurance rates if the fence will not allow a 4 inch sphere to pass though the enclosure which this will do (3.75" spacing between wires). Local regs for a pool with fence only is the same.
    Salt water system.

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow... that is really a nice looking and functional fence! I love it!
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by trademak
    Since I have a safety cover in my area I am not required to have a fence at all. I can lower my insurance rates if the fence will not allow a 4 inch sphere to pass though the enclosure which this will do (3.75" spacing between wires). Local regs for a pool with fence only is the same.
    Nice!

10. Back To Top    #10

Very Nice! It would have been more work, but did you consider painting the steel before it was installed?
    40,000L (10,500G) 17 x 30 Pioneer "Trinity" Vinyl IG
    Hayward OmniLogic, Hayward TCELL925-CUL SWG, Hayward SP23520VSP MaxFlo Pump, Club Pro SM2506T Sand Filter, Hayward H-Series Heater, Zodiac G3 Cleaner.

11. Back To Top    #11

We will paint the wire in place with a roller. I almost pulled the trigger and had a friend powder coat it for me...
    Salt water system.

12. Back To Top    #12

Looks great!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

13. Back To Top    #13

Wow, I gotta agree that looks great. Sure wish I could do something similar but I doubt it would pass code for how I would want to use it since it could be climbed.
    18x33 AGP, 17,300 gal, Hayward Sand Filter, 1.5 HP 2 Speed Hayward Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Just about any fence can be climbed...check your local codes for requirements

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by carlscan26
    Just about any fence can be climbed...check your local codes for requirements
    Most local codes are just rehashes of the 1999 BOCA Code requirements:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...sg6B0A&cad=rja

The OP's fence is definitely NOT BOCA compliant, as the vertical spacing substantially exceeds 1 3/4 inches. This would allow a kid to stick a foot in and climb the wall. Home depot garden wire mesh, which can be steel or vinyl-coated steel, would fill the bill and I think it costs less than the wire proposed. Ours is a BOCA town, and I have this wire stapled to the outside of a basic post and rail fence. I think that is about as cheap as you can do a BOCA fence.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by trademak
    Yep our local regs are just about the same. But the OPs may be different and as he said he's already compliant with the cover.

A fence provides a level of protection and reassurance but vigilance should never be forgotten. A determined child will find a way around just about any safety system.

17. Back To Top    #17

Here are our regs:
    http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/dplu/docs/DPLU379.pdf

They've modified the boca list but it's pretty much the same. One interesting difference is a point made about not being able to be climbed by a child less than 5 years old.

18. Back To Top    #18

You forgot to budget in all the adult beverages while putting it up.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Lershac
    You forgot to budget in all the adult beverages while putting it up.
    That's a fixed cost...
    Salt water system.

20. Back To Top    #20

Looks great, but if the primary reason for the fence is to safeguard your children, then it's a bit dubious. The wire material looks like the perfect climbing size and shape, not to mention very alluring looking for a child to climb. The more I think about it, the more this fence troubles me as a safety precaution.

When wemhad our Guardian fence installed at a cost of $1,500 dollars (which is a lot of money for us), I told the sales person that he could really quote me any price and I would have still said yes. He told me that the worst calls are those where he has to go to someone's home after one child has already been lost because the parents didn't want to spend the money for a safety fence. It's a chilling prospect, and one which all of use with pools and children should heed.
    18,000 IGP, Pentair VS+SVRS, Pentair 4000 DE, 4x12 Fafco solar panels w/GL-235 controller, Hayward Aqua Rite Pro w/T-Cell 15, Hayward Tiger Shark QC, Guardian pool fence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast