Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: test results in - could use some help - thanks

1. Back To Top    #1

test results in - could use some help - thanks

FC = .5 ,TC = .5 ,pH = 8 ,TA = 140 ,CH = 180 ,CYA = 40 (7/7/11)

I know we need some chlorine. but after that whats a good algaecide that will work with our numbers.
    From pinch-a-penny or Leslie pools?

thank you

5,061 gallons of water at 90% capacity <Orlando, Florida>
    Intex 16' X 48" AG Metal Frame Above Ground Pool (Intex A 16 X 48 F B02 11 01)
    Sand, SandPro 75 – 3/4 HP, 45GPM/2700GPH flow rate. GAM-4511 (Just days old 7/5/11)
    Neon green colored water, 6 weeks.
    FC = .5 ,TC = .5 ,pH = 8 ,TA = 140 ,CH = 180 ,CYA = 40 (7-7-11)
    5,593 gallons of water at 80% capacity <Orlando, Florida>
    AG Intex Round Metal pole Swimming Pool - 16 Feet x 48 Inches (Intex A 16 X 48 F B02 11 01)
    Sand, SandPro 75 – 3/4 HP, 45GPM/2700GPH flow rate. GAM-4511 (Just days old 7/5/11)
    Crystal Clear Still

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: test results in - could use some help - thanks

You don't need algaecide. Chlorine works just fine. You should lower your PH to 7.2-7.4 though.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Also you do not have near enough chlorine. Is the water cloudy green or clear green? Has it been tested for metals? If the water is metal free all you need to clear it is liquid chlorine. Please review defeating algae and how to shock your pool for more information.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Use the Pool Calculator to find how much bleach you need to add to get to the top our the recommended range. Be sure to add pool size at the top and vinyl surface at the bottom, also select TFP goals. Not sure yet if you just need chlorine or if you need to shock for algae.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

i'll check it out bringing down ph now. got some stuff from pinch a penny
    AG Intex Round Metal pole Swimming Pool - 16 Feet x 48 Inches (Intex A 16 X 48 F B02 11 01)
    Crystal Clear Still

6. Back To Top    #6

Make sure to make use of the Pool Calculator to assist you in adding chemical to you pool. Muriatic acid is great for lowering PH if you are comfortable with handling it.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank thats what we have. my wife bought some stuff from pinchAPenny
    Mur acid added half gall, 2 hours later 1 1/2 gal on chlorine, today some stop yellow(sodium bromide), i believe tomorrow 1 1/2 of chlorine. brush brush brush
    Crystal Clear Still

8. Back To Top    #8

Grrrr... called p-a-p to ask them a question they told me she was supposed to add the algeacide last night along with the chlorine. I understand about adding it at night (Chlorine). now we have wasted one whole day and 1 1/2 gal of chlorine. well the chlorine might not have been wasted .
    what do you guys think should i abandon p-a-p? should i just go ahead and add the chlorine right now at 11am?
    I'm going to go brush.....
    Crystal Clear Still

9. Back To Top    #9

You should have abandoned the pool store a long time ago. You don't need algaecide at all. What you need is a good test kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

hi bama
    lots of test kits out there since the important stuff is:
    FC - Free Chlorine
    CC or TC - Combined Chlorine or Total Chlorine
    pH -
    TA - Total Alkalinity
    CH - Calcium Hardness
    CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer/conditioner)
    which one do i get off your site, one where i dont go broke.
    i guess my pool is official swamped out.
    i lose site of the brush after 2.5 feet and just saw a 2" water bug swim by.
    going to get water tested now from L's till i get a better test kit will update on ph and chlor.

PS what do you guys think of the electronic test kits

The unique, multi-test ColorQ pool and spa hand-held photometer reads SEVEN test factors (Free Chlorine (DPD), Total Chlorine (DPD), Bromine (DPD), pH, Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid) directly on a digital display. Featuring an innovative dual-optic design the ColorQ provides more accuracy and more test factors. The ColorQ eliminates the need to visually determine slight color variations or use look-up tables, thus taking the guesswork out of pool side water analysis. The user-friendly photometer, testing reagents and photo-diagrammatic trilingual instructions (English, Spanish, French) are packaged in a convenient carrying case. $138.00
    Crystal Clear Still

11. Back To Top    #11

I recommend the TF100 from TFTestKits.net. The Taylor K-2006 is also good.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

I recommend nothing but the TF-100 but if you get the K-2006 or equal we're fine with that too. Just don't be fooled by the pool store telling you the K-2005 is the same. It has to have the FAS-DPD test not just the DPD test.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

if you search the board you'll find threads on the electronics but I believe the gouge is they aren't as accurate as FAS-DPD.

Hang in there, I've used nothing but BBB in the year I've had my pool and had zero problems. Nothing has ever been in my pool but bleach, liquid chlorine, and muriatic acid. NOw, I've trained the whole family and have my kids test like crazy while we're in triple digit temps. A little paranoia a day keeps the green away.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

14. Back To Top    #14

an added note, I keep my CYA at 40 so I can use the OTO test on a daily basis with my FC range between 3 and 5. I run full tests on weekend or after heavy pool use.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

15. Back To Top    #15

thanks everyone. will get test kit soon
    new test results in sig.
    added 2.5 gal chlorine and 6oz sodium bromide (she bought it last night thought i'd use it up)
    including pic of water bug fished out a few minuets ago.
    noticed its not neon green anymore kinda of dirty green now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Crystal Clear Still

16. Back To Top    #16

ok .... the pool has dramatically changed color
    green is gone looks clear but cant see bottom so must be cloudy.
    so far far so good
    Crystal Clear Still

17. Back To Top    #17

Progress! Keep on at shock levels as you keep the filter clear.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

18. Back To Top    #18

In the future, avoid adding sodium bromide. There is nothing you can do about it now, but it tends to cause more problems than it helps.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

thanks guys
    so keep it at FC 15 till the pool runs clear? a sand filter might take a week? so no swimming till then ?
    after its clear how do i get FC down to swim-able levels? she's getting it tested now.
    Crystal Clear Still

20. Back To Top    #20

The sun will lower the FC, once you quit shocking. Having SwG off speeds that, of course.
    Once you are done shocking, passed overnight test, pool is clean but not totally clear, then it is just a filter issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast