Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return Eye ball

1. Back To Top    #1

Return Eye ball

My return eye will not stay in. What would make it shot out when you turn the pump on? The ring that you tighten up is as tight as it can be but the eye will still not stay in? Anyone have any ideas?
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return Eye ball

Is the ring cracked?

3. Back To Top    #3

I can not see anything that is cracked. Just the adjustable(the part you can aim) will not stay in.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like you need a new retaining ring. Those only grab the eyeball a little and if it gets worn the eyeball won't stay in.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree mine has shot out a few times. Replaced the ring and eyeball while I was there and all is well.
    21'X52" AGP
    Brominator
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Cart Filter.
    More to come soon as I am a Newbie!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, question. I have never had to change or mess with the eyeball. When I unscrew the "nut" on the inside, does it also loosen or unscrew the whole part of the eyeball that goes from inside the pool to the outside? In other words do I have to drain the pool below the return before I unscrew? I went to unscrew it yesterday and it moved the outside part as well and started to leak so I tighten it back up. Now you can see why my user name is what it is!!!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

There should be a separate nut that holds the outer part in the pool wall, (it is on the inside of the pool) the eyeball assembly screws into that.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

8. Back To Top    #8

There are several parts of the return fitting. There are two parts to the thru wall fitting not counting gaskets. The backing nut and the flange fitting. The flange has a threaded portion that the eyeball fitting screws into. The eyeball fitting has 3 parts. The base that screws into the flanged wall fitting, the eyeball itself and the retrainer ring that screws onto the base and holds the eyeball in place.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit