Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Device to measure muriatic acid

Device to measure muriatic acid

Just wondering what you all use to measure muriatic acid before adding it to pool. Hate to pour it in a container that melts through.
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump

Re: Device to measure muriatic acid

[center:2znbsasp]http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Chlorine/14491.html
    [/center:2znbsasp]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Junior Member In the Industry

Personally, I just guesstimate, since we're talking about thousands of gallons of water. As I read here before, not making rocket fuel. On old plastic measuring cup would work fine since it's only gonna be in it for a minute at a time.
    14X28 inground Vinyl
    1HP Super II Pump
    200lb Sand filter
    Tri-chlor, bleach shock
    BBB

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    [center:13tzqtj0]http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Chlorine/14491.html
    [/center:13tzqtj0]

You really love that cup Richard.
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump

It comes in a plastic jug and I pour it into a plastic measuring container and rinse when done.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    1.5 hp Speck pump 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

I used a small plastic container I picked up at walmart. It measure up to 64 oz in increments of 8
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

Funny that this came up just now. I had never dealt with MA before and had to add some today. Had some extra plastic cups (new, unused) so I marked a 1 cup spot on it and used that. And if I remember right it was Richard who said he pours his MA into a bucket of pool water & then dumps it all in the pool. I liked that idea so that's how I did it. Thanks, Richard! (You made it not so scarey to deal with)
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1.5HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

Quote Originally Posted by Whatrymes
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    [center:1mecupjb]http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Chlorine/14491.html
    [/center:1mecupjb]

You really love that cup Richard.
    I guess so....it just works so well. The only drawback is the size, shape, and handle. I use that cup to hold my sample water while testing, too. There have been some close calls from leaving it too close to my coffee mug.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Adding acid is a little bit tricky and a little bit dangerous.
    When doing so, I wear eye protection and heavy black rubber gloves, both available at your local hardware store.
    Remember also from chem class: always add acid to water, never water to acid (it spatters).
    I fill a pail 1/2 way, measure the acid into a plastic measuring cup, slowly pour it into the pail to dilute it some, then pour the pail slowly into the pool. Rinse the measuring cup and pail, and done.
    In-ground, 13,000 gallon pool, plaster, built 2008-9.
    Pump Whisper-flow 60 gpm DE filter
    Spa: 1995 Hot Springs Sovereign/bromine/ozonator

I use a cup like Richard's.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

I use a red disposable dixie cup, the hard plastic type. I've marked it on the out side at 1 cup and 2 cups. It's close enough. I've been using the same cup for a month or so. When I have to replace the cup it won't be a loss. The other good thing is I don't have to worry about it getting lost or used in the house.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, SWCG CPSC48, SmartPool Nitro SmartKleen NC22 robotic pool cleaner, Lakeland Florida

Senior Member In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by threewide
    Personally, I just guesstimate, since we're talking about thousands of gallons of water. As I read here before, not making rocket fuel.
    This. I just put the jug down into the water, then pour it out.
    -Jaime

I go by Taylor Acid Demand, and in my pool, one drop equals 1/3 of a gallon. I just stand upwind and pour it in gently split among my three returns from about a foot off the water. I just guess at how much has gone in. Been doing it that way for thirty years and never a problem. Maybe a whiff every now and then.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

Recycle and reuse

I use a 32oz gatorade bottle. I measured and marked 16oz, 24oz, and then full is 32oz. I have one bottle for muriatic acid, and another for 12.5 Liquid Chlorine.

It works very well.

Like the clown above, I use a Solo plastic disposable cup. I've been on the same cup for over a year now. I'll pour the acid into the cup while holding both over the pool, then dump the acid in with the cup close to the surface and then rinse the cup in the pool. I may be living on the edge, but I wear no protective gear when adding the acid.
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

The clown tries to stand up wind and wears sunglasses, it's better than no protection. LOL...
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, SWCG CPSC48, SmartPool Nitro SmartKleen NC22 robotic pool cleaner, Lakeland Florida