Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Saltwater Pool, type of ladder?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Saltwater Pool, type of ladder?

I am in the process of having an inground pool installed with a SWG. I have heard that the SWG can corrode the ladder cups in the deep end. Is there a specific type of ladder I should look for?
    40 x 16 IG Fiberglass pool | Triton II residential Sand Filter | SWG | Pentair UltraTemp 125,000 BTU HeatPump | Pentair IntelliPro VS+ SVRS Variable Speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Saltwater Pool, type of ladder?

Are you speaking of the plastic/rubber bumpers that rest against the side of the pool and protect the pool wall surface from the metal of the ladder?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Either plastic or stainless steel ladders will be fine. But don't use aluminum ladder anchors with a stainless steel ladder and a SWG pool. Plastic ladder anchors are best.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm looking for a new ladder too, for our SWCG pool. The one we have now is rusting where the bolts are, and where the rubber bumpers are. The stainless steel is peeling in a couple spots too and rust is showing there as well. Last summer we gave the ladder a good cleaning but now the rust is back, and even worse.

I'm looking into a sealed steel ladder by S.R. Smith. I just wonder if the vinyl coating will start to peel over time, and whether or not the bolts would rust. http://www.srsmith.com/_posted_resource ... s_0308.pdf

There's also another ladder I came across made by Saftron that is made of stainless steel encapsulated polymer: http://www.innovativepoolproducts.com/

Pmcfad, maybe you could look at these too. Jason and Dave, any input you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Either plastic or stainless steel ladders will be fine. But don't use aluminum ladder anchors with a stainless steel ladder and a SWG pool. Plastic ladder anchors are best.
    What should one do if they already have aluminum anchors and are converting to salt?
    22,000 Gal, in-ground ,vinyl. Pentair Intelliflo VS, Clean&Clear 420 cartridge, Hayward NG 300K heater, Polaris, EasyTouch,IC-40, (former Baquacil - converted to SWCG)

6. Back To Top    #6

There should be a post here on protecting the aluminum anchors, I'm short on time tonight, but if you can't find it with a search, I'll dig it up tomorrow or Sunday
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)