Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Leak in Intex pool

Leak in Intex pool

We have a 24' x 52" Intex that we've had up for almost a month now. Suddenly, it has sprung a small pinhole size leak on the side wall. What could have caused this? What's the best way to patch it? We put one of the patches that came w/ the pool on it. How long can we expect that to hold?

TIA!!!

Re: Leak in Intex pool

Walmart carries HTH patch kits. Just keep an eye on it...there are folks who have had patches hold many years, less if you will be dismantling the pool every year...solution, just patch it again when you put it back up.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

Will those patch kits be at the pool items at Walmart? I'll check today for them. We plan to keep it up year round, just drain it some for winterization. Thanks.

Yup, should be right next to the little testkits/thermometer/pool accessories area. If not your local pool store/ace or tur-value hardware store may be another source
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by alrightythen
    Will those patch kits be at the pool items at Walmart? I'll check today for them. We plan to keep it up year round, just drain it some for winterization. Thanks.
    Yes, they should have it there. If not...and I hate to suggest it, but the pool store will.

Speaking from experience, I woul patch it from the inside first. Most of the vinyl glues will work under water. Just take your time and work out any air bubbles from the glue when you apply the patch.

So we need to patch it from the inside and the outside? Or just inside?

I would patch it from both sides.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

Quote Originally Posted by alrightythen
    So we need to patch it from the inside and the outside? Or just inside?
    Yes, I would patch both sides to be safe. Be sure to use lots of glue on the inner patch, press and press, to work any air from between the patch and the wall. Same on the outside.Don' worry, it will work.

I think we fixed it. Patched both sides and there's no water leaking out. Thanks so much!!!

I have the same problem & I have the same pool. Can this be done without draining it?
    Alex Thomas
    26,000 gallon, In Ground, Vinyl liner, DE Filter, not sure of size of filter at this time

See the above information, and search the forum for "patch".

There is a current thread about patching right now as well, click on "active posts" at the top left, it should show up.

I'm lazy and need to do something not pool related right now, I just typed some info about patching Intex pools in that other thread.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.