I got my TF-100 yesterday >>>

Patrick_B

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2011
Midland TX
I must start off by echoing other comments I've read regarding the level of personal service given by Dave and Meg. I don't think I've been treated nicer or more professionally on any purchase, or not that I can recall. Hats off to you both, and I mean it.

This is going to be somewhat of a mini review for which I apologize, but there are some things I believe are well worth mentioning. The kit is formatted very well, easy to use, and very accurate. I suport this with the fact that we use the best reagents money can buy on a daily basis for some of the same and similar tests in my job. Everything from generic lab grade items like titrants or indicators, to name brand specific tests from HACH, Chemetrics and others. The differences from the TF-100 and my recent lab tests aren't worth mentioning, for any test. I could easily get away without this kit, but I wanted to be able to sit on my patio with a cup of coffee or a cold beer and run my numbers when I felt like it. And, I'm just enough of a geek to think of it as fun. The high range of the FC test was also very appealing.

So enough :blah: :blah: :blah: Here are my numbers from this morning, some which were a waste of reagent based on yesterday. :roll:

FC- 4.0 Thank you Jason, the calc nailed my latest add, bringing me up from a 0.2 Yikes!..and oops. :oops:
CC- 0.5
pH- 7.67 (from my meter). I'm afraid the Taylor pH is going to have to grow on me a little, but it works.
TA- 240!
CH- 640 (Got calcium?) :lol:
CYA- 15-20? I know...but my floater has been dry a lot hanging out here so much lately.

Borate-15-20 maybe. Overly cautious with this because of the obvious, but I love the stability, even at low levels it helps. Never thought of it before TFP.

With this exposed, I will say I had a heavy load on my tiny pool Thurs-Sat by the time I tested, and I neglected to run FC till the kit arrived. :oops: The truth is that I have maintained my water pretty much by watching FC,&TC, and pH...winging it for far too long. I've honestly not wanted to play too much with pH, and TA, as I deal with it enough on a daily basis. I can't say exactly why, but I've been a bit obsessed with my pool this year and spending a lot of time here. I'll admit I've been lucky as I've had extremely few problems in the several years we've had these little pools. But trust me when I tell you... there have been some radical swings. I do want to get everything balanced as well as I can, including the CSI, Borate and particularly getting the CYA up to snuff. Kinda having some fun with this actually, but I can't imagine going into it without the kit and the Pool Calc. What a gem that is.

Edit: I welcome any and all advice offered. I'll weight till one of you heavyweights checks in before I start. I can't believe I forgot to mention the speed Stir...a must have if you ask me.

Thank you again Dave, and Jason. Thanks also to everyone else who keeps this place going.... I can't say enough good about the site.

Cheers,
Patrick

JasonLion said:
TA and CH are both very high, giving you very high chances of getting calcium scaling. It is difficult to lower CH, you you should start lowering TA, see How to Lower Total Alkalinity in Pool School.

Yes It's about what have about that in my makeup, so I'm pretty well stuck with it. I'm sure if I had a plaster or other type of pool it would have dropped out on me before now. Ready to get started, but have swimmers today. Thanks Jason.

mx702 said:
Brushpup said:
pH- 7.67 (from my meter). I'm afraid the Taylor pH is going to have to grow on me a little, but it works.
I assume that is an electronic meter. Which brand?

Yes indeed. It's a Myron L, Model 6P.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.