MA substitute?

crs16

Gold Supporter
Jun 21, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
I was at Lowe's yesterday and couldn't find any MA in the pool area. I did find something else that said it replaced MA, active ingredient is Sodium Bisulfate?

Is that an acceptable alternative? Pros/cons?

And where does lowe's store there MA?

Sodium bisulfate is what we call dry acid. You can use it to lower PH, but it tends to cost a lot more than muriatic acid.

Muriatic acid is different places in different Lowes. Sometimes it is in the covered outdoor area. Sometimes near pool supplies. It can also be in the paint area, or by concrete products.

If you have a Home Depot nearby, you will find it outside in the lawn/garden section where the pool supplies are. Most places have it on a pallet in brown boxes with 2 1 gallon bottles in each box.

Be sure and check the strength on the bottle. It can vary and makes a difference when it comes to calculating the amount that you need to add.

crs16 said:
It's the 31.45% by weight concentration. It seems I remember that number from somewhere else on this board.

That's what you want. Some places sell it at about half that strength and often, for the same price.

We have two HD's nearby, one in Raritan and one in Bridgewater (NJ), about ten miles apart. The one in Bridgewater cannot carry MA due to municipal regulations on hazardous storage and the other one can and does. Not your case, but there may be places where it simply is not there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.