clogged skimmer pipe?

Jun 5, 2011
hello, i've had this inground pool for 18 yrs and never had this problem. after vacuuming the pool i switched to filter the pool and now the pump won't suck enough water into it to build up pressure. i noticed that there isn't any suction over by the skimmer. i thinking of trying to blow out the skimmer with some air pressure but saw something on this site about using a hose with a rag to try to clear it? how does this work and why use the rag? thanks for any help. Randy

You put the hose inside the pump strainer, get all the valves set so the flow is from the skimmer, and backflush it. Make sure the pump is off first. The rag is to help seal it up so the water pressure dislodges the debris, rather than just causing the pump strainer to overflow all over the place. If you have a rubber drain king, that's even better than the rag.

hello, i tried the hose thing and nothing happened. i then blew out the line from the pump basket to the skimmer and there seemed to be plenty of flow over there. i still can't get enough suction to prime the pump and am now going to pull the pump and check the impeller, even though i believe i was able to move it with a small toothbrush. i am also thinking about running my fish tape through it. i am stumped with this problem because it never happened before. there does seem to be some air bubbles in the pump basket but i don't believe them to be the problem? help :)

well i fond the problem. the impeller was packed full of leaves,etc. i cleaned it out and all is good now. not sure how it got in there,might have been when i had basket out while adding the DE. thanks for the replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.