Air coming through return

I will have to check and see if the pump basket stays full when the filter is not on? I will look tomorrow. Should it stay full? The pump is higher than the top of the water.

Thanks!

If air is getting in the system (and it is), the leak is on the suction side.....somewhere between the impeller of the pump and the skimmer.

It is likely (but not always) that your pump strainer basket will have air in it when you check this AM but confirm that and we'll go from there.

I checked when the filter is off and the water in the pump basket drops even with the incoming pipe. The pump is at a higher level than the pool. We were wondering if the water flows back toward the pool when the filter is off. When I turn it on, it just takes a few seconds for it to fill up. Is that still a problem?

Thanks!

You're getting air in the system and it's getting in the filter and when you shut the pump off the air in the filter is most likely pushing the water back out of the pump basket.

There are some common place's to check. The pump basket lid; inspect, clean, & lube it. The skimmer; make sure it's not creating a vortex, check weir for proper operation and not sticking. Pump basket drain plug; make sure it's not leaking.

If those things don't fix the problem then run water from a hose over the suction plumbing while the pump's running and see if the bubbles go away.

Thank you so much!! I will check all of those possibilities. I have a difficult time removing the lid from the pump basket. I usually have to get a rubber mallet to get the lid to turn. Is there a way to relieve the pressure before opening the pump basket lid?

I have been a pool owner for less than 2 years and I have so much to learn. I really appreciate all of the help I get in this forum.

I'd also check for air trapped in the filter. It will compress when the pump is running, and expand again when the pressure is off.

It's super easy to check. Just slowly open the air bleed on top the filter while the pump is running. If it hisses a bit before water starts shooting out, there's air. If water comes out immediately, it's ruled out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.