new products?

I cannot find a MSDS on the product so I am not sure what is in it. Looks to be a trichlor tablet, but without knowing for sure what the complete composition of the tablets are, we cannot recommend its use. At TFP, we only encourage the use of products where the chemical makeup is known. Some things add substances to the pool that can be harmful or damaging to pool equipment and surfaces.

Pucks are pucks. Tri-chlor.

Pucks can always be part of pool water management IF you understand the drawbacks.

They are EASILY the single biggest headache we see here on the forum when they are used to excess.

Adding to what duraleigh mentioned, most pucks are trichlor but they are also not created equal. Some have metals in them. Pace/HTH ones for example, have copper. Metals are never good to introduce into any pool water as they tend to stain and discolor water, hair, and other things.

In looking at the MSDS sheet, following are the ingredients:
Sodium carbonate
Disodium metasilicate

Did I miss something on these being trichlor?

So the first item is washing soda and the second item is something used in cleaning and other applications? Wikipedia has a large writeup on sodium metasilicate but I don't know if it's the same thing as disodium metasilicate.

Any further comments? Thank you,
Jan

It does not appear that these particular tablets are trichlor.

But that actually is irrelevant. :)

Chlorine and brushing take care of biofilms which don't form if you maintain proper FC levels to begin with.;)

I wouldn't use them.

They contain soda ash and floc. They appear to be designed to be used in combination with trichlor. The soda ash would help keep the PH in balance, to compensate for trichlor being so acidic, and the floc is presumably to help keep the water clear. I don't see any way in which they will help prevent bio-films. I also much prefer products that only add one thing at a time, since whatever combination they have come up with is unlikely to be exactly the combination you actually need.

I found this Aquafinesse stuff while looking for Soft Touch (which I think is a borate treatment). Turns out theyr'e both made by Capo Industries, and their office/lab/plant/transmutation lab is 5 minutes from my house. I really wish I was as chemically inclined as Chem Geek or Water Bear or Jason, so I could drop by their office and pick the lab technician's brains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.