Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy, opaque pool even after chems

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy, opaque pool even after chems

Have a 14000 gallon above ground. My pool has been cloudy and opaque the whole time since we opened it a few days ago. Been trying to vacuum leaves out all along, too. Last numbers I had were FC 2.5, CC 1.5, TA 190, CH 220, and CYA 30. Seems like fairly good number. Calculator said add 44 oz of bleach. Did that a couple or three hours ago but still looks the same. Haven't done my numbers again. Don't want to waste my test chems. Can anyone help? I just hate to take water to the pool place. Seems like we can't get out of there without losing an arm, a leg, and two toes.
    14,000 gallons 24ft diameter, 52 in deep
    above ground
    sand filter, Jacuzzi brand
    1.5 in pump, don't know flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy, opaque pool even after chems

You need to shock. Your CC indicates it and the cloudiness confirms it.
    Add enough chlorine to got you to shock level and test an hour after and raise again. then repeat!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry - but how much would that be?
    above ground

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie and Teresa
    Sorry - but how much would that be?
    Shock level for a CYA of 30 is about 12ppm FC. See the CYA/Chlorine Chart and How to Shock your Pool in Pool School. Big button top of each page.

To calculate chemical doses, go to the Pool Calculator. Link in my sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

What sort of test kit do you use? You state that you do not want to waste reagents.

Also, I would suggest using a "whale tail" net to get the leaves out of your pool...this process uses less water and chemlcals.

You are well on your way to a TFP. Go man, Go!
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

I just saw your posts, but this was after I put in 4 bags of shock and checked an hour later. I probably should have just poured in bleach vs the powdered shock. It shot my FC to 22.5 and TC to 24.5. Decided to leave it alone until tomorrow. That was a couple of hours ago. I just turned my pump off to see what it will look like in the morning. Hope that was the right thing to do.
    I use a TF 100 kit to test. I saw the shock level for a CYA of 30, 12ppm FC, but I did not know what that meant. I have used the pool calculator.
    We used the big net to get most of the leaves out of the pool. Hoping that leaving the pump off will reveal the bottom of the pool. Maybe some stuff will settle. What about a flocculant? I know my husband will probably want to take a sample to the pool place tomorrow. You know what that means - another arm, leg, or toe!
    above ground

7. Back To Top    #7

With CYA at 30, raising FC above 20 is rather extreme.

You don't want to use floc before you are sure the algae is all dead. For that matter I don't really recommend floc, as it is money and work when you could just let the filter do it's job. Of course a sand filter does take significantly longer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

So, Jason, am I doing the right thing by turning the pump off and waiting until morning? What steps should I be taking at this point? Thanks!
    above ground

9. Back To Top    #9

We recommend leaving the pump running while shocking. Leaving it off isn't a big deal as long as it was on for at least an hour after you added chemicals. But on is slightly better. Other than that, wait until tomorrow and see what happens.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Jason - I just checked my pool. Still cloudy. FC is 17 and CC 1.5. Should I go ahead and do all my other calculations, including CYA? It is about 7:30 am here. Our pool gets almost continuous sun all day. I turned the pump back on.
    above ground

11. Back To Top    #11

I checked my other numbers and plugged them into the Calculator. I used 12 as my goal for FC. My other numbers were FC 17, CC 1.5, TA 210, CH 230, and pH 7.8. I did not check CYA. Figured it was about 30, same as before. The Calculator says to add 69 oz of muriatic acid. Does this sound right and where do I get that? At the pool place? Thanks, anybody, for your help.
    above ground

12. Back To Top    #12

FC started last night at 22, and this morning it was 17, so you are still losing chlorine overnight. Also, CC is still 1.5, so you are not done shocking for that reason also. FC didn't fall to zero, so you are making good progress but aren't quite there yet.

Leave the PH alone. The PH test tends to be off when FC levels are that high. Test PH again sometime when the FC level is below 10, or just don't worry about pH until you are done shocking. Muriatic acid is nice to have. It is a little annoying to handle because of the fumes, but is the least expensive way to lower PH. You can find it at most hardware stores.

With CYA around 30, target a shock level of 12 to 15.

13. Back To Top    #13

The pool calculator doesn't tell me to add bleach. Isn't that how you shock? Should I be shocking in the daytime when the sun is full on? I am confused.
    above ground

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Pool Calc you put your now reading in the Now column and then put 15 in the Target column, and it'll tell you how much it takes to get there.

And yes, you should be shocking all the time until you pass the OCLT.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

When I put 15 in the target, it still tells me not to add bleach. That's why I'm so confused. I know you are saying to still be adding bleach, but the calc says 0.
    above ground

16. Back To Top    #16

You don't need to add bleach/chlorine right now, but later in the day you will want to.

17. Back To Top    #17

Spend some time reviewing this so that you understand the process:
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool

It can take days, if not over a week, to clear your pool; at least in my experience!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

18. Back To Top    #18

When you put 15 in the Target what is the number in the Now column?
    As long as the number in the Now column is more than the number in the Target colum you won't have to add any chlorine.
    Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

19. Back To Top    #19

Olay. Thanks, everyone. I will check again midday. I really appreciate the advice!!
    above ground

20. Back To Top    #20

If your current FC is higher than 15, there is no need to add more bleach until it falls below 15
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast