Heat Pump/Air Conditioner..Why don't they work together...

Aug 29, 2010
Southern NH
Today, it was 85 outside. Because it gets cold at night, still, the pool started out at around 76. I have the heat pump set to bring it up to about 83.

My house air conditioner is generating cold air and fanning out hot air. RIGHT NEXT to that, is my pool heat pump, which is generating heat, heating water, and fanning out cold air.

Why don't these things work together? Seems like such a waste of energy.

Re: Heat Pump/Air Conditioner..Why don't they work together.

It is a small waste of energy, but they aren't really a good match for each other. Swimming pools need really huge amounts of heat, way more than you are taking out of your house with air conditioning. Home air conditioning produces most of it's waste heat mid-summer when it is really hot out and the pool is not being heated, while the pool needs lots of heat in the spring and fall when the home air conditioner is only running a little.

There are systems that allow you to connect the two together, but they cost way more than you will ever save in energy costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.