Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fafco panels and hose size

1. Back To Top    #1

Fafco panels and hose size

What size do most people use for their solar panels and AGP. 1 1/2 or 2"?
    14.6K gal., 24ft, 54" above ground. 2HP, 2speed Hayward pump (4psi low, 18psi hi), 150sqft cartridge filter. 4x20 solar panel (6 psi).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fafco panels and hose size

We recommend that you use 2".
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    We recommend that you use 2".
    Do I need to buy one that is advertised with 2"? Any 2" setup are well over $50 more than the standard 1 1/2" setup. Can I simply buy adapters, since I assume that is what those other kits come with. I doubt the side tubes of the panels themselves are different, or are they? This is the best deal I can find from a store:

http://www.nationaldiscountpoolsupplies ... plabg.html

Unless someone knows of a better place??

If I were to buy that one, I would just buy 2" adapters and hose, right?

(I am going to the pool store to order the pool on Tuesday. Sorry for the dumb question, but what size are all the hoses for the pools?? If the standard is 1 1/2", then I will probably just stick with that for the first summer, especially since I do not plan to use PVC in the near future.
    14.6K gal., 24ft, 54" above ground. 2HP, 2speed Hayward pump (4psi low, 18psi hi), 150sqft cartridge filter. 4x20 solar panel (6 psi).

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, I assume that the Solar Pro heater, which is the one under a dome, is not nearly as efficient?

5. Back To Top    #5

I was also thinking, would it be better to NOT buy the one that I linked to, since it has a valve at the panel. Would it be better to buy a 3 way valve, and install it by the pool/pump?

6. Back To Top    #6

I use 2 of the ones you linked to (Solar Bears) and plumbed in with 1.5", but they are lest than 10ft from the pool and on the ground. The valve is not an issue unless this will be a roof install
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    I use 2 of the ones you linked to (Solar Bears) and plumbed in with 1.5", but they are lest than 10ft from the pool and on the ground. The valve is not an issue unless this will be a roof install
    Ok, so your's doesn't drain when not being used? Mine will be setup beside the pool, not on the roof.