Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cooper Sand Filters???

1. Back To Top    #1

Cooper Sand Filters???

Has anybody had any experience with Cooper Filters? They seem to be rather inexpensive but advertize them as being the best thing since the round tire...would appreciate some unbiased critisism....or comments
    16x32 Vinyl inground pool, 9-4'x10' solar panels, sand filter, Taylor K-2006 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cooper Sand Filters???

I don't know anything about Cooper, but there really isn't very much to improve on a sand filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I don't know anything about Cooper, but there really isn't very much to improve on a sand filter.
    Thanks, Jason...was just wondering about the plumbing inside the filter and if a name brand may last longer inside...I've never seen the inside and am assuming it has piping to the bottom for backflushing the sand...
    16x32 Vinyl inground pool, 9-4'x10' solar panels, sand filter, Taylor K-2006 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Cooper Ranger filters are also sold as Baker Hydro III or Millenium brand filter.
    The equipment is manufactured in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

http://www.cooperpool.com/products/ranger_t-series.html

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

In the interest of full disclosure, I do have a connection with W. Cooper.
    Yes, W. Cooper makes filters for many others and sells their own under the Ranger brand. They are a small company that does little advertising so costs are lower and filters less expensive, but very good quality. Main difference is that the tanks are thicker and much heavier than most others, and the internal parts (hub and laterals) are larger that most others. Built much like a commercial sand filter. The company was started about 20 years ago by a gentleman named Wilf Cooper who helped create one of the first Sta-Rite sand filters. They are Canadian, but most are sold in the NE and SE USA.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

That's an excellent post, jcpooldog.

To give everyone some background, it is often very difficult for an "In the Industry" member to post without violating forum rules. They cannot post for any direct selling and often get in hot water mentioning their product (for the purpose of selling). They cannot post a link until they have 200 meaningful posts.

There is also a surprisingly large number of ITI folks who try to "sneak" their posts in by not spelling out who they are.....keeps the moderators very busy.

So, jcpooldog has done his homework by carefully reading the forum rules and abiding by them 100%. What he gets in return is a heck of an exposure for his product and an opportunity for the rest of us to learn more about something we may not have known. (I didn't)

That's kind of a win-win deal and I really like to see that on the forum.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Thanks duraleigh,
    Lots of misinformation out there. Just want to make sure everyone gets the correct info. Kudos to you for keeping everything on the up-and-up.
    jcp