Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: heater wont come on

1. Back To Top    #1

heater wont come on

Purex Triton MinMax around 2000 model...worked in fall time but today tried to semi warm the pool and I am not getting anything...is it possible the pilot light is out? anything else to try?
    built 4/08/2000 16 x32 460 Sq FT Pool 16,000 gallons 3.5 ft 5 ft 3.5 ft sport pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: heater wont come on

If it has a pilot light, did you light it? Do you have gas (is the tank full and the valves open)?

We'll try to help you fix this yourself but... IF YOU'RE EVER IN DOUBT ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE DOING WITH THE HEATER - CALL IN YOUR GAS COMPANY!!!!!!!! Safety MUST be the priority!!!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

i'm not sure about the piliot light, I am assuming it does..looking for manual, minimax 400.

Gas line is in ground so all should be good there
    built 4/08/2000 16 x32 460 Sq FT Pool 16,000 gallons 3.5 ft 5 ft 3.5 ft sport pool

4. Back To Top    #4

anything to check ? its gotta just be dirty

5. Back To Top    #5

There are lots of things it could be. A heater tech, IMHO, is your best bet if you know nothing about how it works or it's safety safety systems. I may be that its dirty or it could be something else.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

well ive got a home warranty so i guess its worth the 60 buck callout for them to check it out

7. Back To Top    #7

What was the issue?

8. Back To Top    #8

They are saying the gas line is bad----heater is not getting enough flow to fire...not sure I buy it but that's the word right now

9. Back To Top    #9

I believe, if you know the required BTU of the heater, the gas service pressure, and the gas line diameter and length, you can calculate if you're theoretically getting enough gas. That is a question for a heating pro though. I just thought you would like to know so you can arm yourself with questions for the next service visit.
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4tx
    They are saying the gas line is bad----heater is not getting enough flow to fire...not sure I buy it but that's the word right now

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
    More likely it's spider webs in the tube that tells the controller than you have enough airflow so that it will then open the gas valve and start the igniter. The home warranty company tech probably read the troubleshooting guide and figures low flow must mean the gas.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!