3 weeks of SLAM, still cloudy :(

Elevated cc’s are indicative of an organics problem-
But Just having low cc’s alone aren’t a confirmation that organics aren’t present -
This is why there are 3 end of slam criteria to be met before ending the SLAM Process & why that is just one of the criteria for passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
You’re in the Pool Owner Patience part.
Confirm your current cya level & keep maintaining the appropriate slam level fc as often as possible. FC/CYA Levels
The reason for brushing & or vacuuming daily is because algae forms biofilms to protect itself from chlorine- brushing/vacuuming breaks this up allowing the chlorine to go to work. You can do this blindly. Removing debris is important but not the only reason to brush/vac during slam.
Keep calm & SLAM ON! 😎

But Just having low cc’s alone aren’t a confirmation that organics aren’t present -
This is why there are 3 end of slam criteria to be met before ending the SLAM Process & why that is just one of the criteria for passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
You’re in the Pool Owner Patience part.
Confirm your current cya level & keep maintaining the appropriate slam level fc as often as possible. FC/CYA Levels
The reason for brushing & or vacuuming daily is because algae forms biofilms to protect itself from chlorine- brushing/vacuuming breaks this up allowing the chlorine to go to work. You can do this blindly. Removing debris is important but not the only reason to brush/vac during slam.
Keep calm & SLAM ON! 😎
Thanks for encouragement. Trying to SLAM on without SLAM slamming me. Battle to the death, and one of us is gonna win. 😂

Out of desperation, bought some of this flocculant. Description sounds like a cure, but thought I recalled reading posts on tfp that said to avoid this stuff.

Worth a try if I have a Dead Sea of Algae?

If filter gets outta whack, I don’t mind another deep clean, or even just a new bag of sand. Anything to clear this dead mess. Feels like if I get to point of seeing bottom, I can hop in and laser target any pockets of bad stuff to wipe out if any still exists.

C0C51AD3-EA8F-4C61-B025-2AD403322FB9.jpeg

Last edited:
Out of desperation, bought some of this. Description sounds like a cute, but thought I recalled reading posts on tfp that said to avoid this stuff.

If filter gets outta whack, do T mind another deep clean, or even just a new bag of sand. And thing to clear this dead mess. Feels like if I get to point of seeing bottom, I can hop in

thanks for encouragement . Trying to SLAM on without the SLAM slamming me.
me.

me.

View attachment 425170

Thanks for encouragement. Trying to SLAM on without SLAM slamming me. Battle to the death, and one of us is gonna win. 😂

Out of desperation, bought some of this flocculant. Description sounds like a cure, but thought I recalled reading posts on tfp that said to avoid this stuff.

If filter gets outta whack, I don’t mind another deep clean, or even just a new bag of sand. Anything to clear this dead mess. Feels like if I get to point of seeing bottom, I can hop in and laser target any pockets of bad stuff to wipe out if any still exists.

View attachment 425170
Floc & clarifiers (along with many other pool store potions 🧪) are full of promises but can cause more problems than they actually fix. You think u have a battle now, wait until u can’t get the floc out & u still have algae proliferating.
Can u return it?

Reactions: mknauss and Newdude
Floc & clarifiers (along with many other pool store potions 🧪) are full of promises but can cause more problems than they actually fix. You think u have a battle now, wait until u can’t get the floc out & u still have algae proliferating.
Can u return it?
I could. But with gas prices this high and my patience so low, not braving return to Walmart on a Saturday for the return experience. :)

If I get to point of treating pool with gasoline this weekend, I’ll try this first. Is it that hard to vac out? Granted I don’t have a ton of faith in my new $13 vac 😂

I’ll try the 6 bottles of 10% bleach I bought tonight for a little longer. Maybe I’ll try wrapping some paper towels round my leaf skimmer wand too. Who knows. :)

If no progress this weekend - it’s drain/partial drain and refill time. May not be much left to lose at that point unless a sink hole to Hades opens up and swallows the pool. That’s ok, too. 😂

Well, I gotta say. I don't care who the opponent is. My money is on the Shed Squirrel, everytime. Them little punks are crafty.
Oh he certainly was. Little punk kicked me outta my shed. He used to mock me for years. Till he met his untimely fate falling in my pool last November when he must’ve missed time a jump. Since I couldn’t risk the pool to honor my old foe with a Viking funeral, I figured I’d pay homage to him with a cap tip for screen name. 😂

I’m still not entirely convinced he didn’t reanimate after I fished him out. And it’s entirely plausible that he’s the culprit dropping more dead leaves into my pool in the middle of June. Where else could they still be coming from??? 😂

Since I couldn’t risk the pool to honor my old foe with a Viking funeral, I figured I’d pay homage to him with a cap tip for screen name
That's beautiful. It also explains the curse that you can't seem to shake.
Raise your hand if you see the dot
I personally don't like pics of the googley eye. The whole test revolves around the mixture swirling in the tube as your eyes adjust to find the dot. Getting a pic of it removes both from the equation by the time you get a steady shot of it.

So, yes I see it. No I don't believe it tells me squat. :)

So, let me make this Crystal Clear, clarifiers do not, I repeat do not clog filters flocculants do.
But the continuous use of clarifiers is not recommended as it is unnecessary following TFP methods. And yes, if used unnecessarily, we have seen that cheap clarifiers can impact filter media.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My filter media at this point is expendable. New bag of sand is way cheaper than 20 more gallons of $5-6 bleach for another 3 weeks.

If there’s anything to clear the dead algae faster, gummy sand or not, I’d be game to try. My pump on the other hand I do not want to break. Hoping that risk is lower. Clarifier it seems a sold out in my area. Floc was all could I find.

Looks like some small improvement overnight. Not much, but some.

FC was 9 at 1030. CC was 0. Dumped in about a 1/2 gal of 10% to raise to SLAM level of 16. Went to bed without rechecking. FC this morning was around 13-14, CC still well below 0.5 if not 0. Running low on my extra large bottle of R-0871 so I’m getting a little more loose with the testing to save on reagent. Pucks removed days ago - so there’s no chance of CYA going up. Just down from backwash and rain water. FC between 12 and 16 should still be enough. I know from last week that even with a good overnight FC loss and low CC, I have to add at least 2 cups of bleach every hour or two to fight the sun. Partial sun helping today, but wind probably not. It’s kicking up the last of the pollen and aerating my bleach away. Saving on A/C cost today, so got that goin for me!

Used another 2oz of DE this morning, backwashed about 15-20min later. Water wasn’t that dirty on backwash, so not sure how useful it will be spending rest of afternoon doing it 10 times more. Probably will replug in backup cartridge filter today instead.

If no improvement tomorrow, I might be tempted to try the floc, I though I’m scared it won’t clear - and then I can’t find it to vac. If I could know for certain it would drop the bottom, I got no problem spending Fathers Day in pool floating around with my vac and sucking the poison out to waste as long as I can see it. Sand can replaced if need be.

Monday is drop dead date for drain/refill. School is out Tuesday. Kids need a pool. 😕

When u say u backwash after 20 minutes after de - is it because the pressure has increased by 25% -30%? If not, wait until then. I have a 200# sand filter & only use 1 cup of de. Just trying to understand how much you’re using & what’s happening.

If u are still having overnight chlorine loss then filtering out dead stuff isn’t your only issue- living things are still eating your fc. Even if u floc or use clarifier or drain & begin again (which may need to happen if the floc makes things worse) - consistent slam level fc is still needed to kill the remaining algae & stop the proliferation of dead & live algae until u pass Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Otherwise anything u are able to remove with assistance of the floc will be moot - because tomorrow u will have new algae.
Maintaining proper slam fc level is the answer anyway u slice it - every hour below slam level algae gets a little foothold.
I am not trying to say that u shouldn’t drain & refill if that satisfies the time line u have- but there will still need to be SLAM Process or u will be back dealing with it next week even if it looks good after drain/refill or floc/clarifier.
Remember, it is safe to swim between minimum & slam level fc for your cya so long as u can see a swimmer at the bottom of the pool for safety reasons.
An accurate cya test is imperative to having the right fc level. You haven’t mentioned your most recent one other than a picture. Also checking that u actually reached your target after dosing occasionally (especially for the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test) is important. You want it to be as effective as possible. If your chlorine is weaker than it should be u may not actually be hitting slam level very often. Hence the long slam.
Adjust your dose accordingly if that’s the case. Around here we have a pool store that does the 2.5 gal refillable jugs with a deposit. Its a bit cheaper than buying it by the gallon at Walmart/ lowes & it’s definitely fresher & more potent.
Get some more reagent on order- u will need it so long as u have a pool.
We are rooting for u!

When u say u backwash after 20 minutes after de - is it because the pressure has increased by 25% -30%? If not, wait until then. I have a 200# sand filter & only use 1 cup of de. Just trying to understand how much you’re using & what’s happening.

If u are still having overnight chlorine loss then filtering out dead stuff isn’t your only issue- living things are still eating your fc. Even if u floc or use clarifier or drain & begin again (which may need to happen if the floc makes things worse) - consistent slam level fc is still needed to kill the remaining algae & stop the proliferation of dead & live algae until u pass Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Otherwise anything u are able to remove with assistance of the floc will be moot - because tomorrow u will have new algae.
Maintaining proper slam fc level is the answer anyway u slice it - every hour below slam level algae gets a little foothold.
I am not trying to say that u shouldn’t drain & refill if that satisfies the time line u have- but there will still need to be SLAM Process or u will be back dealing with it next week even if it looks good after drain/refill or floc/clarifier.
Remember, it is safe to swim between minimum & slam level fc for your cya so long as u can see a swimmer at the bottom of the pool for safety reasons.
An accurate cya test is imperative to having the right fc level. You haven’t mentioned your most recent one other than a picture. Also checking that u actually reached your target after dosing occasionally (especially for the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test) is important. You want it to be as effective as possible. If your chlorine is weaker than it should be u may not actually be hitting slam level very often. Hence the long slam.
Adjust your dose accordingly if that’s the case. Around here we have a pool store that does the 2.5 gal refillable jugs with a deposit. Its a bit cheaper than buying it by the gallon at Walmart/ lowes & it’s definitely fresher & more potent.
Get some more reagent on order- u will need it so long as u have a pool.
We are rooting for u!
Thanks. I’ve been stingy with the CYA test since the amount in kit is so little, and there’s nothing at the moment that could add CYA since I removed the pucks couple days ago. No chance it could climb above the 40 I measured a few days ago. It could drop - but that would help SLAM level I think, yes?

I’ve almost spent my entire xtra large replacement bottle of R0871. Ordering a 16oz bottle tonight so I got *plenty*. Might order some more CYA test stuff too.

One positive observation from today’s test. I switched brushes. Same brush type. Same size. But when using the new one today, got a surprising amount of debris kicking up. I think maybe the bristles on the old one just got too worn out. Was a small discovery, but it was enough to keep the floc out of the pool for another day. Depth of vision on the old tape measure wasn’t much better today, but pool ‘looked’ better

Will post photos of when I’m backwashing. Basically as soon as it hits the yellow on gauge.

Attachments

• 89E867E4-97AD-4B10-A5AD-D623BA10622F.jpeg
    89E867E4-97AD-4B10-A5AD-D623BA10622F.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks. I’ve been stingy with the CYA test since the amount in kit is so little, and there’s nothing at the moment that could add CYA since I removed the pucks couple days ago. No chance it could climb above the 40 I measured a few days ago. It could drop - but that would help SLAM level I think, yes?

I’ve almost spent my entire xtra large replacement bottle of R0871. Ordering a 16oz bottle tonight so I got *plenty*. Might order some more CYA test stuff too.

One positive observation from today’s test. I switched brushes. Same brush type. Same size. But when using the new one today, got a surprising amount of debris kicking up. I think maybe the bristles on the old one just got too worn out. Was a small discovery, but it was enough to keep the floc out of the pool for another day. Depth of vision on the old tape measure wasn’t much better today, but pool ‘looked’ better

Will post photos of when I’m backwashing. Basically as soon as it hits the yellow on gauge.
Psi is usually around 4-5psi. Climbs to yellow after adding 1/4 cup of DE into skimmer. Then I backwash

Attachments

• 6A68111F-F29E-4E96-A268-E3141A6F9743.jpeg
    6A68111F-F29E-4E96-A268-E3141A6F9743.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 6
This tired old little pump rejoined the battle today. Hoping to see bottom in next couple days - but not enough progress yet to bank on that. There’s is still a 5% chance there’s something lurking down there causing havoc. Overnight loss has usually been good - but I’ll take a more careful reading tonight and in morning to verify.

Can overnight FC loss occur independent of no CC? With no sun or wind? What would eat the FC besides live organics. I’ve read that ammonia can eat it, but I don’t think that’s it since it’s not immediate loss

Attachments

• C8C7E0E6-7F84-45AB-8BE9-F1687E30242C.jpeg
    C8C7E0E6-7F84-45AB-8BE9-F1687E30242C.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 4
3 more photos. Brushing yields some small dead leave debris still. Last backwash was pretty clean. Bucket shows clarity at dirtiest. Earlier today, yielded about 3 buckets worth that were dirtier, but most look like this last one. Wondering if a 3rd deep clean of sand is worthwhile tomorrow

Attachments

• 2D4FD816-E176-48DE-AB9D-B9E9B0F4ADCB.jpeg
    2D4FD816-E176-48DE-AB9D-B9E9B0F4ADCB.jpeg
    698.3 KB · Views: 9
  • A9AD207B-A3CE-4D32-AD3A-F46160A89E8F.jpeg
    A9AD207B-A3CE-4D32-AD3A-F46160A89E8F.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 10
  • A812E85B-5A54-4E1A-8E5F-90BBB61BFCE4.jpeg
    A812E85B-5A54-4E1A-8E5F-90BBB61BFCE4.jpeg
    571.4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Newdude
Can overnight FC loss occur independent of no CC? With no sun or wind?
Yes - organics are consuming your fc
The absence of cc’s doesn’t mean there’s not organics.

Also the cya reagent will last a long time (years) if stored properly (cool dark place). I buy the big bottle & just refill my small bottle so that the big bottle stays in my cool dark storage.

Reactions: ShedSquirrel
Second day of OCL. Last night, FC=16.5. This morning, was 13.5. Added 3cups of 10%, hour later it’s back up to 16.5. CC still zero.

A bit puzzled why OCLT has been failing when it was passing last week. Unless it’s impact of better brushing past couple days - or a couple of windy days that dropped the last (hopefully) of the pollen into pool.

In search of the tiny scraps of good news, the little hard mass I’ve been feeling with the brush for days, and that I feared might be a tiny bleached out squirrel skeleton - happened to just be the screen cover to the one of the intake ports I lost at start of SLAM. That was relieving. :) Only thing in there should be very minimal leaf debris and a TON of dead algae.

Maintaining FC gonna be tough today and next two days following. Hopefully don’t slide backwards.

One area I forgot to mention to scrub is the flap where the liner seams are- some intex pools have them, some don’t. It just depends on how they cut the liner. A normal house broom 🧹 is effective for this. My last pool had areas w/ flaps around the edge as well as the floor seams. U must lift & scrub.

Reactions: ShedSquirrel

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.