Test results

Last nights result
FC 4 I added 56 oz. of bleach

We didn't put solar cover back on pool last night (we normally do) I just retested and FC is 3......is that because solar cover was off? The kids are swimming right now, is that okay? Can i add bleach while they are in?

Hi, just wanted to check something......last night I added 100 oz of bleach to pool around 6:00 pm when I retested last night FC was 8. I just tested around 3:00 pm today and FC 4. We haven't swam today.
Questions.......

Is that normal loss? (We have no shade on pool)

Should I add bleach now or wait til later tonight when sun is off pool?

Thanks!!!

Hi, Last night FC was 8 (at around 10 pm)
This morning FC was 7 or 7.5 (at 4 am) I did test twice Not sure if it passed overnight test, I don't think there is anything wrong...no algae, FC never below 3

Right now FC is 4 (2:45 pm) Is that normal drop from 4 am til now? The kids just got in pool...do you think it would get below 3 soon? or will it be ok till end of day? The past few days, ive tested water in afternoon at its been at 3.5 at times, so i add 28 or 56 oz. of bleach to get through the day then add more in evening. Is it okay to keep level above 7 so it will not get below 3? what level is okay to swim in?

thanks!!

Update: Just got home (10:00 pm) and tested water FC 2.5 :cry: Hopefully I don't need to shock it!!!! Do I need to??? I just added approx. 132 oz. of bleach and will retest in about an hour.

Try doing the overnight test using 25 ml of water. Then each drop is only .2ppm. So even if you are off a bit watching the color change, it will only be .2 not .5 difference. With low CYA probably still, your daytime loss sounds reasonable. The kids getting in probably account for the rest of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
Try doing the overnight test using 25 ml of water. Then each drop is only .2ppm. So even if you are off a bit watching the color change, it will only be .2 not .5 difference. With low CYA probably still, your daytime loss sounds reasonable. The kids getting in probably account for the rest of it.

I'm not understanding the test using 25 ml. do I just multiply drops by .2 rather than .5? what is the difference do doing the test this way?

Would it be beneficial to raise CYA?
The last time I tested it it was back down to 30 (on 6/05) It was 40 (on 5/23) Would it go down that quickly?

In the future can I raise the FC to a higher level in the evening so I don't have to worry about adding during the day? (is that even possible to do? And what is the highest FC level that is okay to swim at? Sorry so many questions!!!

You do the test with 25 instead of 10 because it will give you better resolution. More accurate. Say your FC is 7.7, CC is .4. Using 10 ml and counting drops as .5, you'd end up reading 8 Fc and probably not seeing it go back to pink when you added R-003. If you used 25 ml and each drop was .2, you'd get 7.8 FC and .4 CC.

If it dropped overnight to 7.2 and .7, you'd read 7.5 and .5 using the smaller sample. But using 25ml would show 7.2 and .8.

You want that accuracy to decide if you passed or failed the overnight test. It's only a few more drops of R-0871; same amount of FAS-DPD powder.

Oh, sorry. The other two questions. You can lose CYA to backwashing and splashout. And leaks. Most likely it's the subjectivity of the test. Next time you run it, try it once with your back to the sun and again with the sun on the tube. You'll get different readings, guaranteed. If you're convinced it's really 30, raise it up some. If the pool is in full sun all day, it needs to be a little high.40 to 50 is better than 30 for a lot of sunlight. But add slowly. It's hard to lower it if you overshoot.

And yes, add enough chlorine to carry you through. If you lose 3 ppm FC/day and minimum is 4, then jack it up to at least 7. 8 would be better. You can swim in it up to shock level for your CYA level. But that would probably be rough on swimsuits and towels. Plug your CYA level into Pool Calculator and it will tell you recommended FC and shock levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.