Test results

^^^^What Bama & madwil said :) and, just to be clear:
After your FC drops to normal levels..............
Every evening you should test your FC and add enough bleach/liquid chlorine to bring it to target FC level. This should be done after the sun is off your pool.

Also, until you really get to know your pool's pH personality, you should test the pH daily and adjust it accordingly. Wait at least 30 minutes to add bleach after you add muriatic acid, just to be on the safe side from fumes.

Congrats on being done shocking!

Speaking on behalf of those that have helped you, "You're very welcome!" :)

Hi, I retested everything this evening and just want to make sure I dont need to adjust anything.

FC 7 (should I try to keep it consistantly at 7 or at a different #)
CC 0
TC 7
pH 7.2 (is this okay, what # should I try to keep it at everytime)
TA 70 (I see this is at the low end, is it okay, what # should I keep it at)
CH 130 (I think this is okay, it is in the range)
CYA 30 (On the low end, do I need to adjust)

Do I need to test CYA everytime I need to shock? I know the ranges for all tests, but is there a certain number in each range I should try to keep things at?

Thanks

You will want to bring CYA up eventually. 30 is just fine, but it will tend to drift down very slowly over the course of the season, so at some point in not too long you will want to bring CYA up enough that it will still be at least 30 by the end of the season.

JasonLion said:
You will want to bring CYA up eventually. 30 is just fine, but it will tend to drift down very slowly over the course of the season, so at some point in not too long you will want to bring CYA up enough that it will still be at least 30 by the end of the season.

Should I shoot for 40 or 50? Do I add the full amount that the pool calc. says to add? I know you said to add about 2/3 of what it says for the Borax.....but add the FULL amount it says for Bleach. What is the rule of thumb for everything else?

I will try today to add the stabilizer to get the CYA up. The brand I bought at walmart says it is 96% CYA is that ok or does it need to be 100% cya?

Thanks

What you got should be fine, as long as the 4% is not ammonia or anything... if you shoot for 45, add what it says, and it overshoots slightly you'll still be fine. Remember, CYA can take awhile to show up on the test, so don't add 2nd time for at least a week...

Hi everyone,

We went swimming for the first time in our new pool!! :whoot:
It was FREEZING!! :hammer: 90 degrees= outside temp......74 degrees = pool temp!!!!

2 quick questions,

1. My FC level was 4.5 tonight before we got in the pool. should I add bleach tonight/morning to raise it up? What level should I try
to keep the FC level at when not shocking? (from what I've read 4.5 is fine, i believe, but I'm not sure if I should try to keep it at 5,
6, or even 7)

2. My pH level has been at 7.2 the last 6 times i've tested. Should I try to raise that? And what level should I try to keep this at?

FYI, I added cya Monday evening, the level was at 30. I added 12 oz. of stabilizer, so i believe it should be raised to around 40. I'm not sure if that affects any of my questions above.

Thanks

The day to day range for FC when CYA is 40 is between 3 and 7. The idea is to raise FC to somewhere around 5 or 6 or 7, so that it is never below 3 the next time you check. When the water is cold you won't need to raise FC as high as you will when the water is warm. Likewise more people swimming means raising FC a little higher so it will still be at least 3 the next time you check.

It is fine to leave PH at 7.2 as long as there is no sign of it going down any lower than that.

Okay, I added ounces of bleach on 5/10 in the evening....when I tested FC the next evening it was only 5. The calculator gave me the amount of 42 ounces to get it to 6. why would it be so low? FYI, the pool seems to lose only .5 everyday with the solar cover on. Does that sound about right?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. When adjusting levels, there are always lots of uncertainties. The test results could be off a little, the bleach might be old and have lost strength, you could have measured the quantity wrong, your pool size estimate might be off, and so on.

Very small FC losses with the solar cover on are normal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. When adjusting levels, there are always lots of uncertainties. The test results could be off a little, the bleach might be old and have lost strength, you could have measured the quantity wrong, your pool size estimate might be off, and so on.

I guess I'm wanting to make sure there's nothing "bad" going on with the water since I added that much bleach and it didn't get me to 6.
Would it be a good idea to keep track of how much bleach I add and the amount it raises the FC?
Say I add that same amount of bleach would it raise it that same amount mostly everytime?

There are three different issues. First, there is always some small variation just because the tests aren't prefect. Second, there can be consistent mistakes, things like getting the size of your pool wrong, which will cause an error in the same direction each time. Third, there are one time mistakes, missed counting a drop in the test, or measured bleach wrong, which will happen occasionally and are unavoidable.

The first and third kinds of mistakes are equally likely to be high or low and can be ignored. What you want to watch for are the second kind of mistake, where you are consistently low or high, which can be corrected (one way or another).

Hi, just wanted to check in with my current levels and get opinions, we are planning on having a few people over to swim and I want to make sure levels are ok.

FC 4
CC 0.5
pH 6.8-7.2 can't quite tell I'd like to raise it to 7.5 if that'd be ok, I'm planning on adding about 5 cups of borax...how much will that
effect the TA level?
TA 50 do I need to adjust? If yes can I add Baking soda directly into skimmer?
CH 140 is this okay for my type of pool? from what I've read, I'm understanding it really doesn't matter for AGP too much, is that correct?

We did have BAD weather this afternoon, not sure if that would affect the readings.

I'm going to shoot for keeping the FC level at 5 or 6 daily, is that okay to do or is that too high?

Thanks in advance!!

You can add baking soda to the skimmer, but you need to add it very slowly if you do that. It is often easier to pre-dissolve it in water in a bucket and then pour that slowly in front of a return jet.

Order doesn't matter too much and there is no real need for waiting in between in this particular case.

oasis1 said:
When using the calculator for thecorrect amount of Borax to adjust the pH, should I enter the 50 that it is currently at or the 80 that I am trying to get to?
When using the calculator, you have a 'now' column and a 'target' column. You put the 50 in the "now" and the 80 in the "target" column and hit calculate. Post back in you have q's.

Then wait about an hour and retest everything?
Yep

Hi, I retested TA level this morning at it only raised it to 60....is that okay if we swim in it? we have company coming over today. We have the heater running right now so I don't want to add any chemicals to the pool while that is on. BTW, I predissolved the baking soda in a bucket and poured into skimmer, hopefully that is okay!!!! Happy Memorial Day!!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.