Test results

I used the calculator...It looks like I should add 336 oz. of bleach for a shock level of 12 or 364 oz. for a shock level of 13. Does it matter which one I do? Should I add anything else? It seems you want me to concentrate on the Ph, cya, and FC levels right now is that correct? Should I be doing all the tests every single day? I just don't want to be wasting parts of the test kit if I don't need to be using them right now. I am using the magnetic stirrer with these tests and rinsing off the "magnetic pill" in between each test. Can I order extra ones? (its time consuming have to rinse in between each test).

Also, I added 96 oz. of bleach yesterday, why wouldn't that have shown up? (I didn't realize I had to change the FC level to 12, so I just added the 96 oz. of bleach) That's why confirmation for me is always good :)

12-13 FC is fine, either one...
The pH, once you get over 10 FC, can't be accurately tested, so making sure its close to start with is important so it doesn't go way out of whack while shocking...
The CYA is to help conserve Cl loss to sunlight, and let it work on algae- it takes awhile to completely dissolve and register, so don't keep adding once until later...

madwil said:
12-13 FC is fine, either one...
The pH, once you get over 10 FC, can't be accurately tested, so making sure its close to start with is important so it doesn't go way out of whack while shocking...
The CYA is to help conserve Cl loss to sunlight, and let it work on algae- it takes awhile to completely dissolve and register, so don't keep adding once until later...

Should I just leave everything else alone today and just add the bleach? How long do I have to wait until testing again...do i run all the test? if not which ones? I can't start adding the bleach until later today....probably around 6 or so.
Does it usually take a while to get the chemistry right?

You should concentrate on maintaining your shock level. Test about 45 minutes or so after adding bleach.

Full instructions on "How to Shock Your Pool" are in Pool School.

You can retest your pH anytime your FC is below 10.

Do not waste chems re-testing your CYA now.

oasis1 said:
Do I retest FC 45 minutes after beginning to add bleach or after I'm done?
45ish minutes after you are done adding bleach. It does not have to be exactly 45 minutes, just long enough to have all the bleach get mixed in good. Usually somewhere between half an hour and an hour.

How long does the level have to stay at 12? I didn't read that anywhere.
Have you seen this in Pool School? How to Shock Your Pool?
You will maintain shocking until you meet the three criteria that let you know you are done.
1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
2. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
3. And the water is clear.
Please post back if you have questions. Someone is always around to help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just retested the water...it's been about hour and a half since i finished adding 364 ounces of bleach....

FC 19.5 (yikes)
CC.5
TC20

Do I wait and test again 1st thing in the morning? Is it okay to get the water sample and wait a bit to actually do the testing? Any other test I should do tomorrow besides the FC and CC?

oasis1 said:
I just retested the water...it's been about hour and a half since i finished adding 364 ounces of bleach....

FC 19.5 (yikes)
CC.5
TC20

Do I wait and test again 1st thing in the morning?
Yes - before the sun hits your pool!
Is it okay to get the water sample and wait a bit to actually do the testing?
You should test as soon as you get the sample. No waiting period.
Any other test I should do tomorrow besides the FC and CC?
Well, if your FC drops below 10, you could test your pH. But, you really need only your FC & CC.

TC of 20 is a little high, but no worries. get a good fe hrs of sleep and get a sample 1st thing in the morning, preferably before the sun rises. you can test the sample back in the kitchen, but do not wait more than 10 mins or so to test after you have collected the sample.

oasis1 said:
Tested water twice so far.....
4:45am results

FC 15
CC 0.5
TC 20
15 + .5 = 15.5. Simple math error here.

7:00am results

FC 16.5 (could it go up?) No, it didn't go up. Probably just a testing error.
CC 0.5
TC 17
Bottom line is that you failed the Overnight Test, so keep shocking.
How often should I test today?
Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (or a little higher)
as frequently as practical, as often as once per hour, and not less than twice a day.

Next steps? Any other tests I should do today?If your FC drops below 10, you could test your pH. Other than that, just concentrate on shocking your pool.
How does your water look now?

As long as FC is 12 you are at shock level and don't need to add more chlorine.

Once the FC level drops below 12, then you go back to the Pool Calculator to determine how much bleach/liquid chlorine is needed to bump it back up to shock level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.