Too much filter ?!?!?

DRoessler

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2011
Is it possible to have too big a filter for a pool?
I've been looking at the Pentair DE QUAD 60. While discussing options with a pool equipment vendor, it was suggested that I might have issues maintaining adequate pressure using such a large filter on a relatively small pool (~ 15k). Granted, it is probably overkill, but is this truly a potential problem?

"maintaining adequate pressure"? What is that?

Pool size really has nothing to do with it.

With a DE filter, you need some minimum water flow to coat the grids or backwash. Once the grids are coated, you can have much lower flow rates and things are fine. This is a good match for a variable speed pump or a dual speed pumps if you use high speed when initially coating the grids and when backwashing. A large DE filter won't work nearly as well with a super small single speed pump.

I would have said HUH???
When it comes to Filters and Heater, bigger is always better.
With a large filter you have to clean it less. Let me know who out there wants more maintenance.
As long as you dont have a tiny pump, need a little pressure to coat grids, other wise go for it.
I have a Quad 100 and like it very much. Only down side to buying a larger filter is when you have to replace the filters, they will be a little more.
Mine are 5 years old and still look like new, when I clean them.

Sounded kind of odd to me as well, but what do I know. I thought there may be some rationale I was not understanding.

As the old joke goes "How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb? None, it's a hardware problem"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.