Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Tests are they all the same???

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Tests are they all the same???

Seen a tester where the dot was on the stick, as well as a tester where the dot was on bottom. Just curious???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Tests are they all the same???

I doubt it makes much difference. It's just measuring how much cloudy water it takes to hide the dot.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

3. Back To Top    #3

The stick tests are very inaccurate. The black dot test is much better even as hard as it is to do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The stick tests are very inaccurate. The black dot test is much better even as hard as it is to do.
    If you meant test strips, yes. I think Bowlin was referring to a view tube where you pour in the whole mixture, and the black dot is on a slider that you move up and down. I've not used one of those but offhand I'd guess they work about as well as the kind where you add mixture until the dot on the bottom disappears. They might even be easier to use; certainly easier to rerun the test if the dot's on a slider.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

Personally, I would appreciate a test that didn't rely on my increasingly faulty vision. I'm never sure if I'm seeing the dot disappear or not.
    22,000 gallon, 34' X 24' freeform Pebble Tec pool and raised 7' spa with spillway, SWG, Jandy Stealth pump, natural gas heater, cartridge filter, Jandy LED colored pool lights, Jandy electronic water leveler, Polaris 280 pool cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

we use the tube with the dot on a slider

7. Back To Top    #7

I was thinking of the strips. but, yeah the sliding dot would be about the same accuracy as the dot in the bottom.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

If you're talking about this one:

it's the Blue Devil CYA Test Kit from Valterra Products. I have it saved on my Amazon.com wishlist priced at $19.99 selling from Discount Pool Mart, but they want $9.49 shipping. For some reason I can't seem to pull it up in a search today on Amazon. You might be able to order it from your local pool store for about $25-$30 as well, or maybe find it cheaper elsewhere online.

The Porpoise CYA Test Kit looks very similar and sells for only $11.99

I used the Blue Devil tester at my local Leslie's and I find it much easier to read accurately than the one that came with the Taylor K2006 kit.

I've got one on order, should be in next week.

Hope this helps,

Gary
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

the latter is what we use

10. Back To Top    #10

The CYA tests with the slider are a little easier to use. The tube is larger and you can fiddle with the slider up and down very easily to get a more exact reading without re-pouring. However, that style does use dramatically more reagent each time. Taylor also makes one in that style.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

exactly what I was looking for thanks all