Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Our Pool Started Feb 28th Idaho

1. Back To Top    #1

Our Pool Started Feb 28th Idaho

This is our first Pool. We are excited to get it finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21,500 Gunite Free Form ~ 18'X40', Sun Deck w/ foam jets auto valve, 3-Laminar Deck Jets w/ auto Valve, 1-Swim out, 3' to 8' deep, NPT Raku Tile
    All Sched 80 Pipe, Pentair Easy Touch control, Pentair pump and Sand Filter, Raypack Heater, White Plaster, Saline Chlorine Generation, Letro Platinum cleaner w/ booster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Our Pool Started Feb 28th Idaho

Rebar pics
    21,500 Gunite Free Form ~ 18'X40', Sun Deck w/ foam jets auto valve, 3-Laminar Deck Jets w/ auto Valve, 1-Swim out, 3' to 8' deep, NPT Raku Tile
    All Sched 80 Pipe, Pentair Easy Touch control, Pentair pump and Sand Filter, Raypack Heater, White Plaster, Saline Chlorine Generation, Letro Platinum cleaner w/ booster

3. Back To Top    #3

Is that snow I see??? Brrrrrr! welcome to TFP.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. It has been a wet Spring. Snowing on the day they excavated. Thanks this is a great site with lots of info.

5. Back To Top    #5

Gunite

6. Back To Top    #6

Tile and all underground piping done. Also attached Pool companies Landscape Architect plan

7. Back To Top    #7

I am curious what others are using for Pool Backwash? Company said that worst case could be 70 gpm for 5 minutes. Thats 350 gallons! They originally had this approved with the building dept. to go on the lawn. I can't imagine 350 gallons of diluted chlorine water doing any good for our lawn. I designed this dry well to handle 400 gallons and had them pipe to it and I picked up with Sch 40 pipe to the barrels. Total cost for this was about 70 bucks when i include the 30 dollars they charged to dig the hole.

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks awesome. What will you do with the water that is in the dry sump? A lot of my friends backwash straight into thier lawns with no adverse side effects. I've drained a few inches here and there and put the water onto my lawn with no issues. Keep the photos coming !
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

9. Back To Top    #9

The bottoms are cut out of the barrels along with lots of slots in the sides. I dug down until I hit a sand layer and I perc tested it to drain. It dropped about 1 in a minute and its damp soil because of the spring. So summer it should drain off well. Thanks for the compliment.

10. Back To Top    #10

Photo Update.

11. Back To Top    #11

Pool water is good for the lawn unless you are in a very wet or swampy area. The chlorine and other pool chemicals don't bother anything except the most sensitive plants and just about any lawn grows better with more water. Of course, there is nothing wrong with setting up a dry well if you want to.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Updated pic, can not wait to get yard back into shape.

13. Back To Top    #13

July 9th. Finally starting to get the yard in shape. Still have more trees to plant. The pool has had a slight leak from the day they filled it. They have drained in twice. Once to go over all penetrations again, pressure test again, reseal lights, etc. The second time since that didnt work they drained it to apply a product called Akron. Still didnt work, same rate of leak. About 2 inches in 24 hours. I think it is a crappy plaster job installed on a rainy day. At least the PB is really actively working to resolve it. Next step is to let it leak until it stops. Hopefully the PB will step up and replaster if need be. Has anyone had a similar problem?

14. Back To Top    #14

Update on leak. I counted numerous posts that didnt have an update or solution to problems people had, so I thought I better update mine. It turns out, it was the electrician. He did not use the rubber cord/grounding water stop in the light niche. He just packed it with buytl tape. Once they fixed that, it has held water. We can finally say we have a completed pool. We got the salt added, I have to say I really like the salt water pool. I will post pics of pump pad area when I get a chance hopefully this week sometime.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for posting back.
    You're right, a lot of the time we give advice and never hear whether it helped or not.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Great job, looks aweasome
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

17. Back To Top    #17

Here are the pump pad pics I promised. Thanks for a great site. I look forward to using the BBB method to keep the water crystal clear.