Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help me select a pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help me select a pump

I am about to install a 21'X41' X 54" oval AGP. I am sinking, but not back filling, pool. I need a self priming, 2 speed agp pump that will work with my size pool and a 22" sand filter. I plan on placing the pump and filter about 30'-40' from pool. Thanks in advance.
    21' x 41' Oval AGP for all 9 kids and wife 1 Skimmer, 2 returns, 22" sand filter, Pentair Dynapro 1.5 HP 2 speed pump. Compupool CPSC 36 SWCG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help me select a pump

How far are you lowering the pool? All the way to the top rail?

If the water line is above the pump suction even a little you don't need a self priming pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The filter and pump will be above or right at the water line. I am not done leveling the hole yet, so I am not positive on the water height compared to pump. I would rather be safe and get the self priming pump now instead of finding out later that I need one.
    Thanks.
    21' x 41' Oval AGP for all 9 kids and wife 1 Skimmer, 2 returns, 22" sand filter, Pentair Dynapro 1.5 HP 2 speed pump. Compupool CPSC 36 SWCG.

4. Back To Top    #4

Perhaps something like the Pentair Dynamo 3/4 HP two speed, DYNII-N2-3/4 HP, or the 1 HP two speed, DYNII-N2 1 HP. These are both medium head pump that are capable of priming relatively small distances above water level (a couple of feet).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

You may want to consider a larger filter. According to The Pool Calculator the volume of your pool will be around 25,700 gallons. You may want to look at a 1 hp 2 speed pump and the largest sand filter that will fit your budget. A larger filter will go longer between cleanings and provide better filtration than a small filter with a big pump.

Are you planning to add any other features to the pool, such as solar panels, heaters, salt water chlorine generators, ect?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I might be adding a SWG next year, but not sure yet. I also am planning some water features in the future (slide, fountain, etc.)