Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hello!

My aqua rite SWG is around 20 months old. Within the last 30 days, the salt reading has started to show artificially low on the SWG.

I cleaned the unit (diluted acid bath), with no change in behavior. So I took it to a pool shop and they tested it on a Hayward tester unit, and it passed.

So now I’m I’m confused. It’s acting like the cell has gone bad, but it passed the test. Any tips on what’s going on here?

Stats:

Salt: reading 2300 pppm, actual 3400.
volts: 27.3 (same if I turn off and back on to flip polarity)
Amps: 3.6
Pool: 10k gallons
Cell: t9
Water Temp: 80 degrees
Usual percentage: 25%

On the unit, low salt and check cell are flashing.

If the board has gone bad, I would expect it to no recognize the cell or not generate chlorine. It is generating chlorine, but it’s reading wrong and the volts are too high.

What could be going on here? Thanks!

Last edited:
As a note, I forgot to mention I have read through the further reading, and have calibrated the unit. I keep landing at “the cell is dead”, but the passing result and the young age of the cell is confusing me.

Where are you getting the "actual" salinity?

I suspect that the "actual" salinity reading is incorrect.

Test the salinity with a K-1766 salt test kit and a calibrated salinity meter.

Last edited:
Where are you getting the "actual" salinity?

I suspect that the "actual" salinity reading is incorrect.

Test the salinity with a K-1766 salt test kit and a calibrated salinity meter.
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, correct, I used a k-1766 kit to check actuals. Color change at 16 drops, full brick at 17.

The amps are too low.

So, either the cell is failing or the actual salinity is lower than you are measuring.

Check the salinity at least two new and different ways to verify.

The amps are too low.

So, either the cell is failing or the actual salinity is lower than you are measuring.

Check the salinity at least two new and different ways to verify.
Got it, trying to think of two new ways…pool store is one, what is a second way to test beyond the Taylor kit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.