DFWTX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I am really puzzled. I tested today for the first time in a while (about 5 weeks), since no one is swimming these days. My CL tested at about 28, but when I checked the salt reading on the AquaPure, it was showing that I was low on salt. I had been running the AP on 45%, but I just lowered it to 15% to see if I could bring the CL down. What do the experts recommend? We won't be swimming again until spring and won't be draining the pool.
Thank you!!

FC usage goes down dramatically when the water temp is below 60 deg, other than that consumed by blown in organics and sunlight. Also SWGs tend to give inaccurate (low) salt readings when the water is cold. Your best bet would be to shut down the SWG and although I always like to see an FC residual, you really don't need to worry about it until the water is 60 deg or above. Algae growth slows tremendously when water temp are down.

Thanks dman. I will shut 'er down. When do you think I should re-test?

Anytime...I'll assume that your CYA level is somewhere in the 60-80 range since you are running a SWG. That said, if your current FC is 28, you can let it drop down to around 5ppm, which will take roughly 2 weeks, if you lose 2-3ppm per day...and that may be even agressive. You'd be safe testing weekly in the offseason, likely less often as well, but I'm conservative :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.