Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light niche installation

1. Back To Top    #1

Light niche installation

How do I install a 11 1/2 inch flat light niche in a curved steel wall inground pool?

Thanks,
    14X28 I/G steel wall hump back Kidney 3'-5', 30mil vinyl liner,92" spill over spa, 1hp Hayward Super 11-pool circ., 1 hp Hayward super 11- spa booster, Hayward Tristar waterfall pump through Jandy CS100 for three 24" Brilliant Wonders sheer descent waterfalls and two Jandy Laminar deck jets , Hayward Swim Clear Cartridge 425sqft, Hayward H-series 250,000 BTU N/G, Pro-logic PS8, T-Cell, Hayward Aqua Vac Robotic

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light niche installation

How big is the curve radius? (ok I know it's 6' from the PM)

You're talking 7/32" gap at the widest spot so there's a couple of options depending on what you have available and how much effort you want to put into it.

The easiest thing to do is take some Butyl putty tape like used for sealing RV doors, windows, roofs, etc and layer it several layers deep top and bottom and a couple of rings around the perimeter of the niche and bolt it into the wall. You'll have to trim off the excess that squeezes out but it'll seal it up so it won't leak. You'll be able to see a thin strip of the putty in the gap but it won't be very noticable.

The other way to do it is to have a machine shop with a computer milling machine, mill a piece of plastic to fit as a transition between the wall and the niche. To me that wouldn't look any better than the putty and would be a whole lot more expensive unless you know some who would it free for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Light niche installation

Thanks for your time to give a reply, much appreciated!

I will give the putty a try.
    14X28 I/G steel wall hump back Kidney 3'-5', 30mil vinyl liner,92" spill over spa, 1hp Hayward Super 11-pool circ., 1 hp Hayward super 11- spa booster, Hayward Tristar waterfall pump through Jandy CS100 for three 24" Brilliant Wonders sheer descent waterfalls and two Jandy Laminar deck jets , Hayward Swim Clear Cartridge 425sqft, Hayward H-series 250,000 BTU N/G, Pro-logic PS8, T-Cell, Hayward Aqua Vac Robotic