Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Magnapool system

Magnapool system

Hi has anyone any experience with the "Magnapool" Potassium/magnesium salt based water traetment system. Australian in origin I believe. Lots of hype and marketing but I am wondering about actual performance.
    thanks
    Rayna

Re: Magnapool system

Hi Rayna,
    I had never heard of the Magnapool, but after a brief perusal of their website I can offer the following opinion: it may work, but you can get similar or better performance with less money and goofy pseudo-scientific language.

It sounds like it's a salt-water chlorine generator that uses potassium and magnesium chloride instead of sodium chloride. Without knowing more details than their website offers, it's not possible to know if their system produces enough chlorine to sufficiently sanitize the pool. The verbage about it being more ecologically responsible and balancing its own water is bunk.

Adding magnesium chloride to your pool water is a bad idea. It is much more likely to cause damage to decking and coping than ordinary salt is. Potassium chloride is fine; it's just much more expensive.

I would say stick with a normal SWG, which will be much cheaper and is a tried-and-true technology. Straight and to the point, without all the eco-beauty-homeopathic babble.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

Yes I think you are probably right. A good vehicle for selling you a new pump, filter etc.
    thanks Rayna

It appears that the Magnapool system is a marketing scam for a salt chlorinator with no independent data to back up claims. Check out the following link for comments from the inventor http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1529192