Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power went off..now cant get power to pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

power went off..now cant get power to pool?

checked all of my trips and the breaker but everything appears to be ok....but not power to the pool...is it possible the pool breaker shorted out? Anything else to check before pulling the breaker?
    built 4/08/2000 16 x32 460 Sq FT Pool 16,000 gallons 3.5 ft 5 ft 3.5 ft sport pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: power went off..now cant get power to pool?

Try flipping all the pool breakers. It may have mini tripped.
    1971 San Juan Fiberglass pool 12,000 gallons
    New Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    New Pentair FNS DE filter 64sq
    All 1.5" piping and no heater
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 2 returns

3. Back To Top    #3

Also if there is a subpanel, the feeder breaker may be tripped in the main panel.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Same thing happened to us today - there was a short at the GFCI outlet at the source and it melted the wiring insid. Scary cud have caught fire (its in the shed). You may want to look inside the outlets?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

I did flip all pool breakers....no luck....anything to look at on the jandy inside panel or the outside panel?
    built 4/08/2000 16 x32 460 Sq FT Pool 16,000 gallons 3.5 ft 5 ft 3.5 ft sport pool

6. Back To Top    #6

weird deal..about 4-5 hrs after the power went out, the panel came back on? is there by chance a safety device for power outages so they maybe puts a delay on power being returned to the pool?

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow - I sure hope that some Jandy expert comes along and explains some built-in feature for that, but I'm thinking that it's something else. Like a bad connection somewhere. You'll want to have your electrical feed for the pool checked carefully.
    There are some devices which delay power-ups to protect systems like air conditioner compressors, but those delays are usually about minutes. 4-5 hours? Not so much.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

8. Back To Top    #8

This may be stupid...but did you reset the time on your timer after the outage? Maybe the timer is tripping on at a different time because the clock is on the wrong time.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

9. Back To Top    #9

timer is all electroni and there was no power and then all of the suden there was power.....i have no explanation except i am glad its back on! lol

10. Back To Top    #10

Seriously - have it checked.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

11. Back To Top    #11

Try and pay attention to the start and stop times. If my theory is correct, (clock reset to midnight when power went off, just like a good old VCR) then it will be going on and off at different times than it did before.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

12. Back To Top    #12

A bit late but this might provide some insight and more importantly some peace of mind.

A while back I was having a weird problem with a Pentair pump, unrelated to your problem but I think I stumbled onto your answer nevertheless.

In the course of diagnosing my problem I was directed by Pentair to the manufacturer of the motor of the said pump.
    My question was related to input voltage.

The technician explained to me that all their pool (pump) motors have a built-in reset on them that would trip if the motor is not turning at the design rpm. (so my issue was not voltage)
    My guess is that a power fluctuation before or after the outage would have altered your motor rpm therefore tripping this built-in reset.
    According to what he told me, it resets by itself after a while but did not specify what "a while" was, neither did I ask.
    Not sure if that is what happened to you but it certainly fits.
    Hope this sheds some light on your weird event...
    Panama Central America
    IG 25,000gls Plaster,
    SWG, 1.5hp 600lbs sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Wow wonder I'f that is my issue again.....today my pump suddenly stopped...now when I turn it on I just hear a hum....then nothing....did my pump just die?

14. Back To Top    #14

With the power off, try turning the motor shaft by hand a couple of turns and then see if it will start.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Its closed up--no way to manually turn is there? Its a whisper flow pump circa 99-00

16. Back To Top    #16

Can you remove the rear of the motor and access te shaft that way?
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump

17. Back To Top    #17

I guess I could...is that a common problem, for it to freeze up and then start up fine again after manually turning it? If not I will just call out warranty people, maybe they will give me a new pump

18. Back To Top    #18

What you want to find out is if the motor is frozen up or jammed with debris and therefore won't run, or free and the motor itself or components of it are shot.
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump

19. Back To Top    #19

Pool company replaced the capacitor ..all is good again lol...now how much should that repair cost?

20. Back To Top    #20

Small repairs are mostly about the minimum charge for coming out to look at the pool. That varies quite a bit from place to place. Around here I can't have anything done for less than about $200.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast