Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Has anyone had a CT scan of ABD with and without contrast

1. Back To Top    #1

Has anyone had a CT scan of ABD with and without contrast

I was reading about this and it seems a little scary of the side effects of the contrast. Has anyone ever had one of these?

Thanks.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Has anyone had a CT scan of ABD with and without contrast

Well, it's been quite a while (1997) so my memory is a little fuzzy... I had a CT scan and I think it was with contrast. Everything was a bit of a whirlwind at the time, but I do remember there were no side effects from the procedure.

If you are like me, you will research and read quite a lot, as you probably already know... that can be a good and bad thing. I would suggest you bring up your concerns with your doctor.

Good luck, and I hope all is well!
    16X32 AGP Kayak
    sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by oldkayak
    Well, it's been quite a while (1997) so my memory is a little fuzzy... I had a CT scan and I think it was with contrast. Everything was a bit of a whirlwind at the time, but I do remember there were no side effects from the procedure.

If you are like me, you will research and read quite a lot, as you probably already know... that can be a good and bad thing. I would suggest you bring up your concerns with your doctor.

Good luck, and I hope all is well!
    I trust what my doctor wants to do. I work in the medical field registering patients and see a lot of people come for them.

4. Back To Top    #4

I just had one the other day, Tuesday no sweat you drink some Barium, it's kinda chalky so just toss it down the faster the better. They wait 2
    hours or so and then do the CT. They shoot the contrast through an IV. It was really quick and painless (except the IV stick).
    I have had them in the past and the only problem was expelling the Barium ugh!

So, good luck whatever you decide to do...
    33K gal shotcrete w/new Florida Gem finish, Pentair Intelliflo VS, ProClean Waterway Filter, Rome TI 130 heatpump, Pentair Intellichlor 40k SWG and Intellibrite 5G spa and pool lights.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've ordered more than i can count. You can be allergic to the dye but it very rare and even then you can still do it with premedication. As long as your kidneys are ok you are good to go.
    14.5 K inground vinyl
    1hp pump
    sand filter
    Taylor K-2006
    Aquarite SWG
    P'cola FL

6. Back To Top    #6

I came close, getting Xrayed for kidney stones. The IV was no biggie. That foul-tasting phosphosoda stuff I drank the night before to do the cleanout was the worst. Imagine the taste and smell of stagnant seawater. And boy, they weren't kidding when they said, "Do this at home, and be warned it works fast."
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

In past three years I've had 5 MRIs. For the one on my shoulder, using contrast, I was prescribed a corticosteroid and took benadryl prior as I have a known allergy to some contrast media. No problems. I had two MRI of head. First one without contrast. Second one a few weeks later they did without contrast and, in same session, with contrast. I did not premedicate for that, and had no problems.

I would suggest talking with doctor and reporting any allergies you've had in the past to anything. That might give indication to doctor if you might have issues.

My father had pretty severe allergies to most contrast media. He had many, many, scans of different types, over the years, was premedicated, and had no issues.

Hope this helps. And yes the gas after digestive system scans is horrible. Don't laugh.... if you can get someone to help you get in a position where your lower body is up in the air, way above your head, you can possibly get rid of gas faster. I've done that twice with surgery that involved messing with my intestines. DH helped me "sort of" do a hand stand. Worked.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

8. Back To Top    #8

Had one in 2007 no side effects
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kirbdoc
    I've ordered more than i can count. You can be allergic to the dye but it very rare and even then you can still do it with premedication. As long as your kidneys are ok you are good to go.
    +1 on what kirbdoc said. Unless you have kidney clearance problems, it's fine. It feels kinda funny when they start injecting that IV contrast. You get warm all over. Very strange.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Just had 1 done in Feb, results were neg. You do get a hotflash, similar to a niacin flush. Last for about 5min or so.

11. Back To Top    #11

Well got it done and the contrast was very very weird. I did not feel it at first and was like great, but them bam started to feel it and was very warm all the way down.