Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: nylon string for thermometer

1. Back To Top    #1

nylon string for thermometer

What are some alternate solutions for the string that the thermomoter is tied with? Ours keeps on rotting and breaking to the point where it is only a 3 inch string now.
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: nylon string for thermometer

Some thermometers come with a little stainless steel string of balls (like the pull chain for a fan). After the nylon string disintegrated on our new high-class floaty alligator thermometer, I just rigged it up to use the old pull-chain type leader from our old thermometer.

You could just stick it in the skimmer; it won't float out and probably won't interfere with the skimmer function.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I've had the same problem with the nylon string. When mine broke again last weekend I used a piece of clear fishing line to repair it until I could find something better.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Taylor stainless thermometer that I took apart and installed an insulated, stranded 14ga. auto electric wire on about 20 years ago. Chlorine fades the color in the insulation but it is pretty much a permanent solution. Eventually the insulation will crack, but at pool temps it lasts much longer than it does in an engine, where it is good for at least 30 years. The exposure of copper to the water is infinitesimal (only at the end), and is contained within the thermometer.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5

Polypropylene or polyethylene line - ie - water ski rope. If you can't find small diameter stuff, you can unbraid it.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

6. Back To Top    #6

You can use a length of that nylon twine that's used with "Weed-Eaters" and similar trimmers.

Also, attach some to the skimmer basket (make a handle out of it) on an above ground pool to facilitate removing the basket.

7. Back To Top    #7

I used a piece of an old telephone cord early this year due to the same issues of the old one turning to dust and it stayed all season long because A. it didn't break down at all and B. bugs can't climb onto it. I even left the length a bit long...like four or five feet so I could get the temp at the bottom rather than right at the top of the water.

I like the idea about making a line for the skimmer baskets...will have to try that one next year.
    25k gal vinyl AquaRite T-15

8. Back To Top    #8

Replacement white shoe string I had in the junk drawer
    Intex 18' x 48" < 5,593 gal
    Stock pump/cartridge filter
    Rare actual working hang on skimmer *keeping fingers crossed*

9. Back To Top    #9

I used 3 white zip ties
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

I have some safety wire laying around that I plan on using when my nylon rope gives out.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

11. Back To Top    #11

All great ideas. Thanks. I will get in my garage and see what scrap materials I have.
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks to you, my floaty alligator now has a stainless steel chain instead of a three inch disintegrating nylon rope! Thanks for the tip.

13. Back To Top    #13

I used a long piece of leather hiking-boot lacing. So far it seems to last pretty long. Its been in the pool for about a year now (which is much longer than the nylon cord the thermo came with).
    20K gal In-ground pool with raised Spa overflowing into pool; two Jandy Sheer Descent waterfalls; Pentair IntelliTouch i7+3, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH, 3 SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, RayPak 406A LP spa heater, Polaris 360 PS Cleaner. Patio and deck lighting by Volt; Volt 600W landscaping transformer; Webber grilling station