Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My oasis

1. Back To Top    #1

My oasis

Hi all, I've been a member of TFP for a while, and have yet to post pics of my pool and spa, so here it is

And the spa

12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My oasis

Very nice!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I like it! Is that stamped concrete or some type of tile for the deck?
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

Is that a mango tree over the grotto/slide? Does it give you any trouble with debris?
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

5. Back To Top    #5

Very nice oasis you have there

The slide looks fast
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I remember swimming in a pool only three times when stationed in Guam - two of those were during dive lessons! Spent most of our "wet time" in the ocean with a tank - great memories.

Still, I think I could get used to hanging out at your place! Looks like a great place for family and friends.

Cheers - Taz
    30' x 15' kidney shaped, 3.5-5.5 ft deep, wet-mix shotcrete inground, AutoPilot Digital SWG - RC35/22 cell, 36" main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns, Dyna-Pro 1 HP, Sta-Rite 2 (PLM100) filter, Polaris 360 cleaner, Marbletite (Marquis/Bluestone), Screen enclosure

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the replys! To answer a few questions, the deck is tile, and yes, that large tree behind the grotto is a HUGE mango tree. I don't have much trouble with debris from it, but it can be a pain if the wind blows in the wrong direction. BTW, the slide is VERY fast
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

I miss this place, I've been on deployment too long! Just a little while longer, and I'll be home!

9. Back To Top    #9

Awesome pool! Love the slide.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm sitting out here, in the middle of nowhere, and my wife has contracted MRSA in her leg! The doc says it's looking better, it just sucks that I can't be there for her. 11 days and I'm on a plane home! Please send your prayers her way

11. Back To Top    #11

Sending prayers for both of you. The last few days away are always the hardest. Hang in there. You'll be home in no time! Thanks for your service. We wouldn't be the country we are if it weren't for men like you and the families back home who understand and accept what you have to do. Thanks to the servicewomen as well.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you all for the prayers. My wife has healed up and I'm now back home with my family!

13. Back To Top    #13

was stationed in Guam 96-98, loved the place!
    I also spent most of my time in the saltwater tank- MWR cost $10 a month, and I got 2 tanks filled every day!
    Diving was great...
    But also enjoyed a few BBQs in the hills, and swam a few times at Talafofo...
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

14. Back To Top    #14

I spend quite a bit of time diving (probably more than I do at work), but when it's time for BBQ and adult beverages, it's usually out on our patio or in the pool

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by guamguy
    I spend quite a bit of time diving (probably more than I do at work), but when it's time for BBQ and adult beverages, it's usually out on our patio or in the pool
    I was in Guam for 8 years left in 1996....Like many others it was the military that brought me there. I got out in 1990 and stayed there as a civilian...and absolutely loved it.

I got married there and both my sons were born there.

The only reason I came back to the mainland was family (my Grandfather passed away in 96 and we came back here to care for my Grandmother)

The diving is world class. As soon as I got to Guam I took classes and got certified....loved it so much I was in the water every day...and ended up taking all the other courses (advanced, rescue, divemaster, wreck etc..) and eventually became an instructor and did that part time with Guam Tropical Dive Station while I was still in.

Then when I got out my first job was as a pilot for Atlantis Submarine, while I still did some part time Dive instruction on the side.....between the gig with Atlantis where 90% of our customers were Japanese and my side job teaching tourists to dive, I eventually became fluent in the language and started doing that full time.

I don't know about now, but back then you could make some good money as a SCUBA instructor that was fluent in Japanese. (It puts you at the top of the list for every dive shop because they don't have to spend extra money for a translator) Over the years I certified hundreds of Japanese who would come for the 3 day course. (exactly the same as the 2 week course we teach to residents with an hour or two each night....except crammed into 3 FULL days.) and led countless hundreds of dive tours for certified divers.....but the real money was in the "intro" courses.

The intro courses we didn't certify them..and never took them any deeper than 20 feet. We did a real quick course on how to clear your mask and your regulator and stressed how you never hold your breath...and went over the hand signals..and then we took them out for a 30 minute dive off the beach....let them feed the fish with vienna sausages or just bread.

I and a dive-master could take a dozen people at a time, and do that 5-6 times a day.....with each person paying $100 a pop.

Also, the under-water observatory out there at Piti bomb holes was brand new and my wife worked for them as an accountant....so once in a while I would help them out as well by feeding the fish in front of the windows.

All of that was a very long winded way of saying...I really miss Guam.
    14'X32' 9K gal, IG Plaster, 1 HP AquaFlo Bronze pump, cartridge filter, SWG, Hayward cleaning robot