Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing for bacteria, fungus, and other stuff...

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing for bacteria, fungus, and other stuff...

Has anyone ever done any other testing to prove our water is clean and safe, sanitized?

can I take my pool water somewhere to have it tested for ecoli?

not that I have a pool now, but in the future.
    Custom Cloud shaped 19'x35' - Raised Spa 6' diameter
    Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator - Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump
    Hayward H400Fdn Heater, Hayward GVA-24 (valve actuators)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing for bacteria, fungus, and other stuff...

I believe that would require a lab with an incubator and such.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

You can do that if you want. Many labs will test well water for that kind of contamination, so just say that you pool water is from a well. If your FC levels are reasonable ,and you are careful to avoid contamination when taking the sample, you will find that all the normal bacteria/virus/fungus levels are essentially zero. Chlorine is extremely effective at killing nearly all of the normal contaminants. Killing algae is much more difficult than killing bacteria, so if you are using enough chlorine to prevent algae, there is essentially no bacteria.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by thunderkyss
    Has anyone ever done any other testing to prove our water is clean and safe, sanitized?

can I take my pool water somewhere to have it tested for ecoli?

not that I have a pool now, but in the future.
    I had my pool water tested regularly by a microbiolgical lab whilst running an ionizer and MPS, not chlorine and the test covers total coliforms, E-coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and importantly Legionella together with a Total viable count.

You can buy dip slide test kits which are incubated for 2 days and give an idea of potential bacterial problems.

It is alway re assuring to have the results and as Jason states chlorine does sort out most problems.