Need help with PH and CYA, ect.

Jul 18, 2010
New to the pool life and would like for someone to explain to me exactly what the PH is in the water and what is CYA. I am trying to learn how the levels help the pool and how to keep water balanced. And how they keep pool water clean and so on. I hope to learn a lot here!

Basically pH is how basic (high pH) or how acidic (low pH) the water is. The scale is 0 to 14 with 7 being neutral. You want the pool water to be slightly basic (7.2 - 7.8).

CYA is the common abbreviation for cyanuric acid which is the chemical that binds with chlorine to somewhat shield it from being consumed by sunlight. It's also called stabilizer or conditioner. Having the right amount is a good thing but having to much is worse than having too little. Having too much means that your corresponding chlorine level has to be higher so before long it becomes almost impossible to maintain the correct ratio of chlorine to CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.